Locust trees in my yard: Black or Honey?

Everett

Hello Folks,

So, in my backyard, there are 3 Locust trees that my wife wants gone. I thought at first that Locust wasn't really usefull in woodworking, but with a little research, and seeing this from PME:

I'm excited now! I'm hoping that I will be able to take them down and put the wood to some use. According to a lot of people online, the wood is very rot resistant, so maybe some outdoor furniture as well.

Now the question is, are they honeylocust trees or blacklocust trees? I know the pods of the blacklocust are toxic to humans, and i don't feel like finding out that way, lol.

I've attached some pics. Anything anyone knows about the tree and/or the lumber from it, would be, well, awesome.

Thanks

Ev

post-4228-0-85920600-1307234638_thumb.jp

post-4228-0-17221200-1307234656_thumb.jp

post-4228-0-62967500-1307234670_thumb.jp

post-4228-0-27484000-1307234714_thumb.jp

It looks like black locust but cannot see the thorns. If the thorns are bigger than say an inch like maybe in the 3 inch range then it is honey locust. From what I can see in your pics it looks more like Black Locust though. BL is hard to kill like crazy hard to kill. Here is a link to some of the suggested ways to kill one. They grow this commercially in th EU think Hungary is a top producer they imported the species from NA and now it is there top lumber there. One of the reasons is it grow on marginal land and was used and still is in places as part of reclamation. It is nitrogen fixing so will basically grow on rock. The other is there is no real need to reforest once it is harvested because the trees will regrow from the stump in about 30 yrs or so it is really tough to kill it.

No need to tell the wife that last part but there is a need to know that BL is poisonous the leaves bark and flowers contain Lectin this can cause some nasty things to happen to your GI Tract. I got a dose of it the first time I milled some. I used the band saw inside without dust collection. Got sick in about an hour was fairly mild but the effect was good enough to get me out of the shop and on the computer to research it. I used a draw knife to remove the bark and was careful about where I put my hands before I washed them.

The wood is extremely hard for a North American wood 1700 on the Janka hardness scale Oak is about 1300 to get anything harder than it you have to go over seas although hickory is about the same by some estimates. It has some of the features that most of us would look for in many different species Hardness yet springs well like hickory looks a little like oak in the grain more rot resistant than Cedar it has many virtues all in one wood. When first cut it will have an iridescent green/gold hue to it. Use carbide to work it or be ready to sharpen hand tools more than usual. The sap wood is white and should be discarded as it is much softer and does not have the same qualities as the heart wood. This tree is used for many things but usually it will be used for fence posts and rails, Railroad ties telephone and electric poles, ships masts, bow making, Flooring and many other uses. Counter tops is one that it is used for but cutting boards not so much as it dulls knives quickly. When this wood is finished with an oil based poly it will oxidize over time and become a rich golden brown color. It is also used in xylophone keys and has musical qualities. That is about all I know about it off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

Black Locust, very rot resistant, used for fence posts, a bit coarse. Years ago when a female child would be born a farmer would plant a field of Locust so that by the time she was the age to marry , he could sell it for a dowry. There was a time it was used for ships masts too.

Thanks so much for the info guys. Joe, i laughed when you said "about it off the top of my head". That was a crapload of info, lol

It is my favorite wood because it grows here in good quantity. It is still mostly a young forest but some trees could be harvested now so I have done my research on it. I am hoping to start a local venture with the city and local industry. I have to be able to sell the idea and raise money to do it :) Wiki has good stuff on it but the state, provincial, university and federal sites will have more about it.

Did I mention they are hard to kill? Noticed in the pics that what you will see when you cut them down is there may be several trees grown together this happens with BL no biggy except when you cut it you may end up with some reaction wood. It dries well not much shrinkage it will want to twist a bit. It is florescent yellow under black light found that out when I made some into a cross on an urn for some ashes. The gal I made the urn for had a black light in her bedroom and the cross glowed.

Your is definitely a black locust (robinia pseudoacacia), as already said the wood is very strong and weather resistent but also very prone to cracking, splitting and moving so you have to seal the ends quickly to prevent cracking and strip off the bark to avoid borers that love the sapwood...

Usually here in Italy it is mainly used as firewood because it rarely develops a straight bole without branches, the heartwood is brown, dark when freshly cut that turns lighter after drying, the sapwood is white or pale yellow and is prone to moulds or borers attack...

When cut it sprouts vigorously from the stump and all the roots, the sprouts grow VERY quickly (in my garden as fast as 1ft per week), as joe says it is VERY hard to kill (and fluoreschent under UV light)...

I never experienced toxicity problems, i know it is toxic to horses but in example the flowers are sweet and traditionally used to flavour omelette or salads...

• 3 weeks later...