just finished this put in a all nighter

duckkisser

ok i could not sleep so i put in a all nighter and finished this long box. after i took a few photos i noticed some defects that ill take out later after i catch up on sleep. the finish is just poly and ill do a finishing wax later to give it a super smooth feel after the poly cures completly. but i am realy happy about this box but it is just blue pine(blue jean pine, grey pine ect....)but whith the natural staining there is a area around the nots that has no stain so it looks like marble. for some reason this staining was extreamily dark and it has a little red,yellow,and the poly greened the blue stain. The handles i strugled with but i just thought since it looks like a log that they whould look like mushroom shapes. and i make flat curves shaped loosly like a mushroom but i stayed with the simple long box shape. the handles are made out of rock maple this was a burl or a not from the roots of a tree(thank you small millers for wanting art as well as functional wood)(got out of a burn pile)the bottom is made out of birch ply and i got that from a cabinet maker who was throwing out because the cut was in the wrong spot so i just filled it with a thin strip of grey pine same as lid. The lid i centered a not to be the folcal point of the top of the box. and the all the grain wraps around the corners and goes the entire length of the box. since it is a long box it stands to reason that the

grain should be the length of box.

i can tell which way the box goes by looking at the not that i cut in half....hair raising hand to reinforce the the inside and outside and place glue into the not.

*******************************to view normal click on save in bottom right corner ill fix size later*********************

post-4738-0-20597100-1309032600_thumb.jp

post-4738-0-39871100-1309032852_thumb.jp

as you can see there are a few problems with the finish especial in the handle ill get some rub on poly and q tip and get into the cracks in handle to get rid of any non poly areas.

let me know what you think and what i might have done to make better/stronger/lasting