Quarter sawn oak flooring question

Siege

Hi all,

I've almost finished sanding my 80-year old quarter sawn (red?) oak floors, and I'm trying to sort through advice regarding finishing. Based on local hardware store input I would first apply Minwax wood conditioner, then potentially a stain, then polyurethane. I've read that wood conditioners open the grain so the stain/poly is absorbed evenly, but I've also seen a recommendation (Jeff Jewitt's Mission Oak Finish page regarding quarter sawn wood) for stain being applied first, then General Finish SealaCell Sealer - the name implying that sealing rather than opening the grain is what's accomplished - then gel stain, then a final sealer.

In my case I want to accentuate the rays of the quarter sawn planks, so do I want to seal the cells, i.e., the SealaCell Sealer, or open the grain with a Minwax conditioner? Or am I just misunderstanding this part?

And one more question: Will the quarter sawn rays visually pop more with some degree of staining as opposed to leaving the floor natural with only a top finish?

Thanks very much for any input.

Chris