Not Enough Grain Filler?

abowers

Hello All,

I have a dining table with a mahogany veneer, I used a paste wood filler and filled the grain and let it dry for a few weeks. It felt smooth to the touch. I put a couple coats of shellac and then a few coats of lacquer. Now it seems if I didn't put any filler in at all, the finish seems to undulate with the grain. I was hoping to bring the sheen up to a high gloss but am afraid now that it won't be possible, is there an easy fix?

Thanks,

Aaron

Try block sanding with 400 or 600 grit sand paper. Your goal here is to knock down the high spots, (build up of finish around the grain pockets) go easy sanding, (sand trough's are a bummer) and clean the surface. Then apply another coat of lacquer, when dry, repeat block sanding and apply yet another coat of lacquer, till you get a nice even flow out of the lacquer. If you are new to spraying ( I saw your post about over spray on chairs) this will be a fact of life (rough surfaces and block sanding) block sanding is something you will get good at. Then once you become proficient at spraying. You will be able to achieve glass smooth surface right off the gun and not so much block sanding. ;)

-Ace-