Removable base router which can be used on a router table

Bobby Slack

Which router do you recommend Bosch or Porter Cable. I must be able to take off the router base for another application.

Also service and warranty are important.

Also it would be great to get one where is easy to adjust the height from the top of the router table.

I have a Porter Cable 89x (3 I think)...fixed base unit on my router table. I've attached it to the right side of my table saw, for space savings, using the rockler plate. This router has a quick release mechanism where you just open the buckle clamp and then another small spring latch and you can pull the router right out. That makes changing bits very easy and I don't store the router in the table. This is a vast improvement over the 690 which I also own.

It also has a thru the top height adjuster. Its a seperate purchase to get the tool to raise and lower the bit but a nut driver works too - I think its 3/16". The router also has 2 on/off buttons, one near the where you'd hold your hands during normal hand held operation and one at the top - since I don't have an aux. switch yet this top switch makes it real easy to turn on and off. Its 2.25 HP and variable speed and soft start so it should handle just about everything but I have not tried to do a raised panel with it. Should be fine with light passes.

Never used the bosch but I've heard very good things. I think there are reviews on http://www.newwoodworker.com

Steve

The Dusty Developer

Thank you Steve. I am glad you helped me out.

I have a Porter Cable 89x (3 I think)...fixed base unit on my router table. I've attached it to the right side of my table saw, for space savings, using the rockler plate. This router has a quick release mechanism where you just open the buckle clamp and then another small spring latch and you can pull the router right out. That makes changing bits very easy and I don't store the router in the table. This is a vast improvement over the 690 which I also own.

It also has a thru the top height adjuster. Its a seperate purchase to get the tool to raise and lower the bit but a nut driver works too - I think its 3/16". The router also has 2 on/off buttons, one near the where you'd hold your hands during normal hand held operation and one at the top - since I don't have an aux. switch yet this top switch makes it real easy to turn on and off. Its 2.25 HP and variable speed and soft start so it should handle just about everything but I have not tried to do a raised panel with it. Should be fine with light passes.

Never used the bosch but I've heard very good things. I think there are reviews on http://www.newwoodworker.com

Steve

The Dusty Developer

Years ago I bought a Bosch 1617EVS with a fixed base and have loved it. Then I built a router table and stuck it under that. There is a way to do fine adjustments from the top.

When I got tired of pulling the router out of the table to do hand held work I bought a new 1617EVS in a kit that included a fixed base and a plunge base. Plus I bought an edge guide for it.

I've never had any trouble with either of my routers and have been happy with my purchase.

I've only used a PC once during a woodworking class and it seemed built well but I can't really do a good comparison for you. I just know you'd be happy with the Bosch if you go that way.

Awesome :)

Thanks for the lead.

Years ago I bought a Bosch 1617EVS with a fixed base and have loved it. Then I built a router table and stuck it under that. There is a way to do fine adjustments from the top.

When I got tired of pulling the router out of the table to do hand held work I bought a new 1617EVS in a kit that included a fixed base and a plunge base. Plus I bought an edge guide for it.

I've never had any trouble with either of my routers and have been happy with my purchase.

I've only used a PC once during a woodworking class and it seemed built well but I can't really do a good comparison for you. I just know you'd be happy with the Bosch if you go that way.

I also have the PC. I started out with the 690 and then my 3 1/4hp Freud that I had in my table died and I got a great deal on the 890 right when they came out, honestly I couldn't tall a difference in the power. I have had great luck with mine but I remember a post a while back where there were a few people that didn't have such luck. Porter Cable has switched hands since I bought mine and I don't know if that has changed things or if it is a freak thing, I hope not as I have always been a fan of them and have several of their tools. Both the Bosch and PC got about the same reviews on Amazon with a few more writing in about the Bosch. As far as customer service, Porter Cable has been good to me. I have only had to contact them once because there was a piece missing on a tool I had bought from them-very fast and friendly. I have never had anything Bosch except router bits so I can't comment on them. If you are a member to the online FineWoodworking site they have several reviews on combo kit routers. Good luck.

Nate

Nate,

Thank you for your comments. I printed a couple of articles from FWW's site. I am using that as a base plus comments from you guys to make my decision.

I appreciate your help and taking your time to tell me about your experience.

Bobby

I also have the PC. I started out with the 690 and then my 3 1/4hp Freud that I had in my table died and I got a great deal on the 890 right when they came out, honestly I couldn't tall a difference in the power. I have had great luck with mine but I remember a post a while back where there were a few people that didn't have such luck. Porter Cable has switched hands since I bought mine and I don't know if that has changed things or if it is a freak thing, I hope not as I have always been a fan of them and have several of their tools. Both the Bosch and PC got about the same reviews on Amazon with a few more writing in about the Bosch. As far as customer service, Porter Cable has been good to me. I have only had to contact them once because there was a piece missing on a tool I had bought from them-very fast and friendly. I have never had anything Bosch except router bits so I can't comment on them. If you are a member to the online FineWoodworking site they have several reviews on combo kit routers. Good luck.

Nate

I have the 1617EVS also and think it is great. My kit came with a t-handled allen key for adjusting the depth from above the table. You simply need to drill a hold for it through the top to access the screw in the fixed base which is attached to the underside of the the table.

I really like the quickness and simplicity of taking the motor out from one base to the other. It makes it so tolerable when you need to go from the router table to the plunge base handheld.

Tim

This router will almost exclusively live attached to the router table base. So two important features:

1. Removable base - Because of the one application I have for this router to use for my logs.

2. Height adjustment must be easy from the top of the table ***

3. Router bit change must be easy ***

4. 1/2" collet.

The finalists are so far PC & Bosch.

Sounds like you are close to a decision, the thing I would add to your list is variable speed. For safety and quality I consider it a must. Most routers have it now days and you could always add an after market or a dimmer switch but it would be the nicest if you can just get it right away. One last thing is if you can get a D-handle I think you would really like it. I never had one with my PC routers but a few years ago I bought a festool OF1400 and I immediately saw how the D-handle would have benefited me all those years. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker but if it means adding a little more money upfront I would go for it, just thought I would throw it in there. Keep us posted.

Nate