Use Oderless Mineral Spirits??

stephwood

Hello -- looked around in here, couldn't find that this has been discussed. Bought my first "oderless" mineral spirits. Thinking that the milky appearance might indicate something wrong, checked it out on the internet. Apparently, this is normal for this stuff. However, not sure that I want to use it for diluting varnish, etc -- seems to leave a residue on glass, so what would it do on my wood? Could not find this topic after more 'net search. What is the experience with this out there -- is it truly inter-changeable with regular mineral spirits for thinning, or should I just use it for cleaning? thanks!

You know, I have a jug of this stuff just waiting for me to do some testing to answer this very question. I too have my concerns about the use of this stuff with clear finishes. For anyone wondering, this is the "greener" mineral spirits being pushed to the market. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Klean-Strip-Odorless-Mineral-Spirits-Substitute/dp/B002L6K51K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310940543&sr=8-1

Judging from the reviews and some of what I've heard, results are not good so far.

Addendum:

Unless you name the exact brand and product you are using, then no comparison can be made.

The stuff that Mark is talking about tells it all in its full and exact label name:

Klean-Strip Green Odorless Mineral Spirits Substitute

Note: There are some low odor mineral spirits on the market that are a more refined to eliminate most/some of the odor.

I was a chemist in a former life...

This is odorless mineral spirits:

41olHcOFTZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Unlike the product in the first post, this stuff works just fine, but should really be called "less odor mineral spirits". It is better than the plain old solvent, but it is certainly not odorless. The stuff in the first post is not mineral spirits, but a substitute product supposedly with an effect like mineral spirits.

First poster here. You are correct -- I was careless with terminology. The true "odorless" MSs are fine. It's the "green" odorless sub that I was asking about. Label reads for same uses -- "use where MS is recommended for prep, thinning, or clean up." Called "Mineral Spirits Safer Technology" -- not flammable, 65% lower VOCs.

• 4 weeks later...