pricing for spalted maple

duckkisser

where can i find the price of all kinds of wood that is up to date. i just bought a stack of spalted maple some ash and some hickory for 100 dollers.

one board is 3 in thick 6 inches wide and 7 feet long

a quarter log is 6 inches thick x6 inches wide 8 ft long(think i can get 5-8 big boards and a few small ones)(30 dollers)

1 thick x 8inches wide x 8ftlong

1.5 thick x 3 wide x 3.6ft long

1.5 thick x 4 wide x 4.7ft long

1.25 thick x 5 inches wide x 8 ft long(60 dollers since they were partialy plained down)

he gave me 3 oak boards .25 thick x 6 inches wide x 8ft long (free)

1.5 inches thick x 12inchest wide x 4 feet long ash

1.5 inchest thick x 12 inchest wide x 4 feet long hickory(both for 10 dollers)

did i get a steal or did i get robbed?

someone pointed out to me that i should say where i bought it at and what condition

i live south of chicago so maple is prity comon around here and the lumber is all very ruff cut in fact i bought two quarter pieces of log that i will cut into boards myself also picked up a 3 x 4 x 1.5foot burl walnut board for 10 dollers a half hour ago as well as several simliar thickness and width but some are only 5-7 inches long

• 2 weeks later...

Wood prices vary a lot from place to place and season to season, especially for specialty woods like spalted maple. Someone might pay a premium for "art wood", and someone else might get a discount because it's discolored.

I'd check out the various online hardwood dealers and use that as a comparison price. TheWoodWhisperer has links to a few on the site home page, at the bottom.

I think you paid average hobbiest prices. Spalted maple here is about $3 bf 4/4 from small local mills. Most of the small mills will sell maple for $2bf if you buy a 100 bf. Wide boards over 20" the price can jump quite abit to about $5 bf. When you buy in such small quantities from people that are trying to make a buck selling to hobbiest the the price can go way up. Search for back yard mills in your area. These hidden gems produce some nice timber at affordable prices.

Don