Turning a Plate

sbarton22

I know the answer to this is going to be obvious, but I'll ask anyway.

Say I would like to turn a nice plate for myself. About how thick a piece should I start with? I know it will depend on the design, but I'm trying to get an idea if I have a shot at anything worth my time with 4/4 or should I just dismiss that idea and start with 5/4 or even 6/4.

I'm so new at this, that every time I turn I learn something new. So, at this point, I can't really judge waste just yet.

For context, I plan on turning a mortise between centers and then chucking it up.

You can do it with 4/4 but you have to conscious of your material as you cut. I made this plate out of 4/4 material. http://i848.photobuc...11-09-42171.jpg

http://i848.photobuc...11-11-00553.jpg

I think you mean tenon to chuck on? I mounted this between centers to start then turned the bottom of the plate on the tailstock end with a tenon, then flipped it around onto a chuck and did the top/inside surface.

Nice plate! Did you glue up 2 halves and plane/sand them flat? the center looks really tight.

Innie, outie...whatever!!

Actually, I was thinking a dovetail mortise so that I could have the largest diameter surface to support the plate (using the outside face of the jaws to hold it. But, I mat be using the term incorrectly, as I have been known to do that.) Maybe that is a bad idea? I don't have Cole Jaws, just the super nova, so my working diameter is pretty small.

For context, I plan on turning a mortise between centers and then chucking it up.

You can do that and it works well for thin stock. Turn it between centers taped to your face plate. Cut a shallow dovetail mortise in the face of the plate. Chuck (expanding jaw) the plate and turn the bottom and most of the face until you get close to the chuck. Assuming you dont own a vac chuck or jumbo jaws, Jamb chuck it into a piece of mdf to finish off the bottom. This is the easy way to make good use of thin stock even 3/4.

Don

Morning,

Seeing that you are a relatively new turner, I would not recommend doing a turning using a recess in the workpiece. One good catch and the piece is likely to rip out of the jaws, damaging the recess beyond repair and launching the plate across the shop. A tenon is what you need on this, as this offers the greatest holding strength.

Here is another way to turn a platter without sacrificing any of the depth of your stock. Mount your blank on a face plate using Sheet Metal Screws. DO NOT, use drywall screws, as these are brittle and may break. Flatten and true up what will be the bottom of your plate. Now, glue a block to the bottom of the plate, and turn it round to make a tenon sized to fit your jaws, use the live center in the tailstock to mark the center of the glue block. This will be used later to center the turning when you do the bottom. The best sized tenon for the greatest amount of hold is sized to the diameter of the jaws in an almost closed position. Make sure that the bottom of the glue block, does not bottom out inside the jaws. You only want the shoulder of the dovetail to sit on top of the jaws, and the dovetail itself to be grabbed by the jaws. Now flip it around and put it in the chuck, turn and finish sand the top of the plate. Use a straight edge across the platter to get a measurement of how deep you turned the top surface write this measurement down.

Now make your jam chuck. Mount a piece of MDF to your faceplate and turn it round, this can be any diameter you want, 3 or 4" is generally enough to drive the piece and will allow you to make consistant walls on your platter. Using your tailstock to recenter the piece mount it up and check to make sure it is running as close to true as you can get it. You may have to mess with it a bit to get it to run right. Now you can turn your bottom to your final design. Nibble down the glue block as you get to the center of the piece. I try and leave mine about 1/2" or less. Create the foot of the platter, keeping in mind how deep the top surface of the platter was made, and slightly recess inside the foot so it will sit flat and not rock. Sand as much of the bottom of the platter as you can. When you are sanded out, now nibble down the remainder of the glue block, be careful doing this as you dont want to go to far and have the piece release early. Stop the lathe, remove the piece and cut off the nib by hand, and complete the sanding of the bottom. I hope I was clear enough in my explanation, and that it helps you out some.

Good luck, and good turning.

Roger

You can do it with 4/4 but you have to consious of your material as you cut. I made this plate out of 4/4 material. http://i848.photobuc...11-09-42171.jpg

I think you mean tenon to chuck on? I mounted this between centers to start then turned the bottom of the plate on the tailstock end with a tenon, then flipped it around onto a chuck and did the top/inside surface.

Beautiful plate! I just bought a lathe from craigslist and have been experimenting with segmented bowls.

SQ

SusieQ,

Welcome to the crazy world of turning! Glad to have you aboard. There are not very many of us in here, but we all try and help each other out as much as we can. I will be doing a cam demo in the near future so stay tuned. In the mean time, make lots of chips, and stay safe!

Roger

Nice plate! Did you glue up 2 halves and plane/sand them flat? the center looks really tight.

I just realized that I never answered your question. Sorry. Thanks.

I layed out the "pie pieces" with a compass and straightedge, dividing the circle first into halves, then each half into halves and so forth until I came up with 8 pieces. I did this on a piece of paper. Then I cut each piece out with scissors and used that as a template to rough the pieces of 3/4 stock at the bandsaw. Then I took two adjacent pieces and used the handplaning technique to plane two edges at a time to get them to fit tightly. I kept going around all the joints in this manner for one half of the circle. Then I glued up a half at a time. After each half was dry, I used the same planing technique on the two halves and glued the two halves together. I did not sand it flat because you turn it anyway. I used a faceplate on the lathe and turned the bottom including a tenon to reverse chuck and finish the top/inside of the plate.

• 5 weeks later...

You can do it with 4/4 but you have to consious of your material as you cut. I made this plate out of 4/4 material. http://i848.photobuc...11-09-42171.jpg

Very nice plate!

SQ

Thanks Susieq!

Mr. Barton, no I have not been to Hibdon Hardwoods. I've tried to check them out but from everything I've heard is that they are not open to the public. However, one time a year, I believe on the Friday after Thanksgiving, they are open to the public; but I always go out of town to my inlaws that holiday weekend. My turner's group actually organizes a drive downtown to go.

Tim-

They most definitely are open to the public. They have a small "retail" shop. Sometimes when you go, you have to buzz in and the guys upstairs will let you in. They sell a lot of cut offs by the pound, which I find to be a real bargain (rosewood, african blackwood, lacewood, etc). I can't recommend them enough. I was in STL over Memorial day, and they opened the shop for me over the holiday because I was coming in from KC. Just call ahead when you plan on going if you have any worries.

I'm planning on heading down there for the Thanksgiving sale...everything is min of 25% off.

scott