Table & Hideaway Bench

Thinkjet

I'm sorta new to woodworking, I've always tinkered and after watching Marc's Videos, I'm inspired to expand my skills. I finally was able to dedicate half of my garage to woodworking early this year and I'm now trying to find people who want custom furniture other than my family :) . Anyway, my latest creation was this table and bench. My father in law and his son often eat in front of the tv and instead of eating on the couch, they wanted a sofa table in back of the couch with a chair... so I came up with this idea. The hideaway bench fits nicely inside the table and when you turn the table around... the bench is concealed.

The materials used were Walnut veneer ply and Wenge Hardwood. I mostly used biscuit joinery for attaching the panels to the frame and Pocket hole joinery for the rest. These were the easiest methods for me as I'm still learning other methods. I don't recommend using pocket hole joinery on veneer ply. The micro thin veneer these days just tend to lend itself to torn out pocket hole edges. I did stay away from that. Anyway, here it is. I'm more proud of the design than I am of the level of craftsmanship, but when it's for family, they just don't mind that "I'm still learning". I used Marc's simple varnish method for the finish. I made 2 sets of these and both fit the span of the couch.

Marc, I'm blown away at the cool things you have done for the woodworking community. I always watched Norm Abrahms but was never as comfortable to say I'm a fan as I do with your shows. Thank you for what you do.

post-5444-0-76982300-1314307629_thumb.jp

post-5444-0-08941300-1314307626_thumb.jp

post-5444-0-38868000-1314307633_thumb.jp

post-5444-0-77293400-1314307798_thumb.jp

post-5444-0-38831100-1314307637_thumb.jp