Seeking tool rest with long post (or sturdy extension post)

kenerv1

Hi, I'm new here and hoping for some good and affordable ideas. I'm turning back spindles for windsor chairs on my 20" swing (3520B) lathe. Steady rest is required and used. I hate taking the setup apart to move the banjo/rest to the other side of the steady rest. A new stock second banjo and tool rest is north of $600 from Powermatic. (No luck on Ebay either). I have two old but but too short banjo/tool rests from an old Craftsman bench lathe (7/8" post), and a Delta Midi Lathe (5/8" post). I've been unable to find a replacement "T" tool rest with a long enough post to bring the tool rest up to the 10" axis of the bigger lathe. An extension to bring up the height of the original tool rest(s) might work also.

I have tried gerryrigging pipes and sleeves for an extension, but what I have done so far fails the laugh test. I'm leary of what a machine shop would need to charge to fabricate a tool steel rest. Would simply welding two bolt sections in a T configuration be workable for this low forces job? Or maybe just a tenoned and drilled chunk of rock maple to extend the post (yes I'm that desperate). Comments, suggestions, and horror stories will be taken with gratitude.

You can simply weld a post of the correct diameter and length to a 1/4" thick x 1" or 1-1/4" flat bar in a "T" configuration and it will be sufficient. I'd grind the corners off the upper edge of the flat bar. Round bar stock will work too but will be a little more difficult to get a good mating surface for welding a full round bar. This is of course a cheaper way than buying one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good advice gentlemen. I had Bestwoodtools online and was reaching for the phone, when a friend, who knew of my quest, called and said he had a welder (and sometime turner) friend, who had agreed to do the job using scrap round barstock. I don't know what kind of steel he intends to use, or what he will charge, but I'll let you know how it "turns" out.