Grizzly palm router

CJC5151

Hey guys i read an article a while ago about a guy who bought the grizzly lam tirmmer that was only 40 bucks. he liked it so much and the tool was so inexpensive that he bought 3 more and used them for end profiles and just kept a specific bit in each one to save time. I was wondering if any of you have ever used one, and if so, what do you think of it. The cost is great but i worry about the quality. as most of you know a price tag around 100 bucks seems to be the industry standard. thanks for your help.

I recently read a few laminate trimmer reviews in major mags and I couldn't help but notice that the Grizzly laminate trimmer looks just like the Harbor Freight trimmer. I'm talking the entire package, not just the trimmer itself. Only visual difference is color. HF sells theirs for around $20 or so. I bought one about 5yrs ago. I also have the Bosch Colt. I think I go to the HF trimmer more often just because it is so darn basic.

Adam

I recently read a few laminate trimmer reviews in major mags and I couldn't help but notice that the Grizzly laminate trimmer looks just like the Harbor Freight trimmer.

It may be that there's a factory out there that's cranking this stuff out for Grizzly. After being built it gets inspected to make sure it meets the standards that Grizzly requires (and contracted for). If it doesn't, I guess they could just throw it out... or maybe paint it a different color and let Harbor Freight sell it.

I'm not saying that this is happening, and I have no evidence. I'm just saying that "it's the exact same tool made at the same factory to the same design" doesn't mean that it's the same quality.

It could also be that the factory is turning out some number of these, and if Grizzly doesn't want them then they sell to HF.

Or that they take the shell and put in a high quality motor and gearbox and sell to Grizzly, and put in a low quality motor and gearbox and sell to HF.

Hi Adam. I am looking at the Bosch PRO20EVSK Colt as a possibility for my first router. I am a beginner hobbyist just starting out and building up my tool set. How do you like it?

Hi fuzzypirate,

Don't get me wrong, the Colt is a great router, and will work well for flush trim and edge profile bits. If that is all you are planning on doing, then it would be a good first router. However, if you are wanting to do more grooving operations (like dados) you may want to look at a bigger router.

• 2 weeks later...

HI FuzzyPirate,

Sorry for taking so long..didn't see your reply. I like the Colt just fine. It's great for small work. As Mike mentioned, if all you are doing is edging or small bit work, it's fine. I would recommend something bigger for a first router though just because of power and flexibility.

Adam

I recently read a few laminate trimmer reviews in major mags and I couldn't help but notice that the Grizzly laminate trimmer looks just like the Harbor Freight trimmer. I'm talking the entire package, not just the trimmer itself. Only visual difference is color. HF sells theirs for around $20 or so. I bought one about 5yrs ago. I also have the Bosch Colt. I think I go to the HF trimmer more often just because it is so darn basic.

Adam

I also "read" the trim router article, where the Grizzly router impressed the author. Shortly after, I noticed the same thing: Harbor Freight selling a router that looked remarkably similar to the Grizzly. So I had to buy one, at $20. Like the author of that article, I keep a few trim routers laying around with specific bits in them

I've been using that $20 HF router for most of this year, in a pro shop, and it just keeps going and going.

For what it's worth

Gregory Paolini

I also "read" the trim router article, where the Grizzly router impressed the author. Shortly after, I noticed the same thing: Harbor Freight selling a router that looked remarkably similar to the Grizzly. So I had to buy one, at $20. Like the author of that article, I keep a few trim routers laying around with specific bits in them

I've been using that $20 HF router for most of this year, in a pro shop, and it just keeps going and going.

For what it's worth

Gregory Paolini

That is great to hear. For basic routing, can't go wrong for $20.