Outboard Turning - thoughts, concerns, safety issues?????

susieq4131

I actually located a company that can made up a face plate for the outboard on my Grizzly G1495 lathe. This outboard is an odd size - 7/8" x 16 TPI Left Hand. Right now I can turn bowls that are 13 1/4 inches in diameter. My goal is to turn bowls that are up to 15 inches in diameter. My bowls are scrolled rings that are glued together, so they are much lighter than a bowl blank. I have not ordered this face plate - yet.

Any special concerns when using this outboard? All information and comments would be greatly appreciated.

SQ

SQ,

The only thing that comes to mind is that you will be turning essentially left handed. The lathe rotation will stay the same and as such, your turning actions will be mirrored from what you normally do right handed. Do you have outboard ways out there to support a banjo? What about the use of tailstock support? Just things that are coming to mind. Good luck, stay safe

Roger

Roger, thanks for your input.

Yes, I understand on the outboard I will be working on the right side of the bowl, rather than my usual left side. Not sure how difficult that will be to get use to. Machine came with an attached tool rest - picture attached. What's odd, on this same model they have changed the configuration of the tool rest since the one I bought was produced. To reconfigure mine to what they are now using, I believe would only require a new post which I could purchase from the company. Wondering if the new configuration is better than the one that came with mine. Have a tailstock on the inboard - which I don't use when turning bowls. These bowls are already shaped and usually quite light in weight - compared to a bowl blank.

SQ

post-1522-0-74283400-1318304228_thumb.jp

I could just envision me trying to turn left handed. Oh the catches would be tremendous!! lol Heck, i can get a catch sometimes just getting the tool out of the tool rack. :)

Thats actually a pretty slick setup for outboard turning. Though it does look a but cumbersome to adjust. SQ, if this does not work out to well for you (the outboard rest that is) you may want to consider something like the Powermatic free standing tool rest. It looks kind of like a huge trailer leveling jack, that you put your rest into.

Good luck, and be careful learing to turn opposite.

Roger

I could just envision me trying to turn left handed. Oh the catches would be tremendous!! lol Heck, i can get a catch sometimes just getting the tool out of the tool rack. :)

Thats actually a pretty slick setup for outboard turning. Though it does look a but cumbersome to adjust. SQ, if this does not work out to well for you (the outboard rest that is) you may want to consider something like the Powermatic free standing tool rest. It looks kind of like a huge trailer leveling jack, that you put your rest into.

Roger

wood.

Roger,

I believe that threaded arbor is just for a disc sander or vac chuck. Normally on a lathe with a fixed head that is intended to be used for outboard turning it has a 3 phase motor with a phase converter. The three phase can be reversed and the speed controlled. I'd skip that idea.

Don

You are correct, the machine came with a disk sander attached to that spindle. It also came with the outboard tool rest with instructions on using and setting it up.

I appreciate your comments. I might just have to hold out for a larger inboard. :D

SQ

Roger

Really appreciate all your comments. Decided not to go forward with this idea, at the present time. Might revisit it in the future.

SQ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SQ I would not give up so quick. One fit the sanding disc and ajust the tool rest as if you were going to turn and hold a gauge that you normally use

and present it to the spinning disk but *** please do no let the gauge touch the disk.**** Two check your stance and get comfortable. Doing this will help

you to determine if out board is for you. Three you are noy turning left handed unless you are a leftee.Four many laths come with out board fasilities

which you can use for disk sanding and vacum ckucking. I speak from experience of using out board in a few collaboratve big vessell in excess of 24 plus inches diameter. One time the big WADKIN had to be chained to a tree until we had the bowl balanced the speed was 800 rpm. Good luck Roger C in RSA