Removing Dried Stain

NateOlsen

Hey Guys

Well I got my nephew's cradle stained last weekend and it really looks great. I went out to look at it today and I noticed a couple little spots where I didn't get all the excess wiped off the surface and it has now dried on the surface. It was almost a week ago that I applied the stain, so it's pretty dry at this point. Is there an easy trick to re-moistening the stain so I can remove the stuff from the surface? I've seen recommendations of using mineral spirits and paint thinner but I was wondering if there's some kind of standard technique. It seems to me like paint thinner might be a little abrasive. Not sure about mineral spirits.. I should mention that I used an oil-based stain. Thanks for the help!

Nate

Try using a razor blade in a card scraper fashion. Go easy and try to remove just the thick stuff. To even out that area after scraping. Apply some stain to an artist brush, (more dry than wet) simply touch up.

Try working on this technique to the bottom or some side that won't show, prior to working on the real deal. :)

-Ace-