Lathe comparison

madisonbrent

I am just getting into turning and wanted to buy a new lathe. I have 2 in mind that are completely different lathes and was wondering if I could get some input from people who have worked with them. The first on my list is a JET 1220 not the VS simple because of cost... or the Delta 46-455 http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2064107/26243/DELTA-5Speed-Midi-Lathe-1212-Model-46455.aspx

the Delta is $50 less, plus it has a $50 mail in rebate.... so $100 less in total.

I like the JET because it has 20 inch centers instead of the 16 on the Delta

Both cost the same to upgrade with the extension, both have same HP

Also, with adding an extension to a lathe like this with the 3/4 HP, can it still handle a 10-12 in log that is 40 inches?

I just recently purchased the Delta 460 (the VS version of what you are looking at). It is a great lathe. I started thinking about this lathe based on the recommendation of Roger, who is very active here in the forum. When doing my own research on midi lathes, the benefits of the Delta started to quickly out number the benefits of the Jet. When of the big ones (and this will be bigger for the non-VS version) is the belt change. It is a snap, and can be done in less than 30 seconds. There were several other factors as well that led me to the Delta. The reverse on the VS Delta was another factor with going with the Delta.

Also, the VS does cost extra, but it is WELL worth it. My old lathe used belt changes to adjust the speed. I have found myself using the appropriate speeds now for my turnings, and have noticed that the over-all quality of the turned piece is that much nicer.

I purchased my Midi from Rockler, when there was still one close to me. It's a "store brand" model, and is not variable speed. It's not a pain to change the speeds (insert allen wrench, raise motor to release tension, figure out where you put the allen wrench to tighten bolt back up, figure out which knobs to turn to open the two belt compartments, move belt to appropriate - guessing - pulley, readjust belt when you realize you accidentally got the wrong pulley, lower the doors, tighten the knobs, look for the allen wrench again, loosen the bolt on the motor, drop the motor to add tension, tighten up the bolt, put the allen wrench in a place you'll remember it this time, and plug the lathe back in. Call me cautious.)

All in all, it only takes about a minute or two at most. I've discovered I tend to do large chunks of my turning at certain speeds, because I'd rather not change the belt settings all that often.

So if it sounds like I'm saying buy the Variable Speed model, I am. You'll appreciate it far more than you think. It's worth a couple of extra Franklins.

• Like 1

I am just getting into turning and wanted to buy a new lathe. I have 2 in mind that are completely different lathes and was wondering if I could get some input from people who have worked with them. The first on my list is a JET 1220 not the VS simple because of cost... or the Delta 46-455 http://www.woodcraft...odel-46455.aspx

the Delta is $50 less, plus it has a $50 mail in rebate.... so $100 less in total.

I like the JET because it has 20 inch centers instead of the 16 on the Delta

Both cost the same to upgrade with the extension, both have same HP

Also, with adding an extension to a lathe like this with the 3/4 HP, can it still handle a 10-12 in log that is 40 inches?

Not to be a spoil sport here, but that last sentence has sent a cold shiver up my spine. You would be very hard pressed to make this lathe do a 10-12" log at 20". And I would not even recommend trying that. You have to remember this is a very light duty machine. Most people have no concept of what a large spinning piece of wood imparts to both the lathe and the operator. I turn large stuff all the time, and it is really no small feat.

Sure, the lathe will do bowls at the max of the swing, provided you have a sufficiently built stand, and a bunch of additional weight added to it. The mass of an out of balance piece will shake everything. The bad thing about NON-Variable speed lathes is that their lowest speed is generally about 200 or more rpm to fast to rough out of balance pieces. Not withstanding that the bed of the lathe is of lighter construction that what would be preferable.

So to get a more informed opinioin from the forum, I think you need to rethink what you are wanting to do with your new lathe. If you want to do big and long, then a midi or mini lathe is just not the right machine. If you just want to do bowls in the 11-12" range, then the midi will work fine. But there are things you will want to do to make this a much more enjoyable experience.

Please give us some more info, and we can help you better.

And I think Variable speed is Very highly desirable.

Roger

One thing I'll mention. I have the 46-455 Delta Midi-Lathe. It's great for a starter lathe, but if you find yourself wanting to turn longer spindles, getting the extension is currently pretty tricky. I'm trying to find a supplier that still has the extension, but no dice so far. The way things are going, it's hard to say once they get their logistics from the ownership shuffling sorted out if they're going to continue to carry it. This would go for the 46-460 which has the reverse and variable speed control. It uses the exact same spec for the bed and extension.

Roger, thanks for the reply. I gave a bad example, I likely wouldn't be able to hoist a log that big on to the lathe by myself :D ... I guess what I was trying to ask was this... is the 3/4 motor enough to keep up with the extension added... when a larger piece is put on.... maybe 3-4 feet long, 3-5 inch diameter.... for making larger spindles... columns

my goal it to turn store bought bowl blanks and rough cut bowl blanks for 8-10 inch pieces as well as plates, vessels, vases and so on. The larger vases would likely be segmented pieces so they would be hollow. The largest vase would be about 15 inches high and 7-8 inches at the widest part. Most of the bowls would be segmented with the occasional solid blank.

One thing I'll mention. I have the 46-455 Delta Midi-Lathe. It's great for a starter lathe, but if you find yourself wanting to turn longer spindles, getting the extension is currently pretty tricky. I'm trying to find a supplier that still has the extension, but no dice so far. The way things are going, it's hard to say once they get their logistics from the ownership shuffling sorted out if they're going to continue to carry it. This would go for the 46-460 which has the reverse and variable speed control. It uses the exact same spec for the bed and extension.

so the one they show on the woodcraft site isn't available?

well it sounds like VS is the way to go, yet I want to stay with my $500 budget... because I need tools and a chuck and so on. So not to muddy the waters but if I am looking at VS, does anyone have an opinion on the following two lathes. The Steel City has 27in centers!... sounds like you still need to change the belt to change speeds? So each belt position has variable speeds?.

http://www.toolking....peed-mini-lathe

and then the Rikon... 16 inch centers but you can buy an extension.

http://www.amazon.co...18898919&sr=8-4

and I will toss one last one in the mix

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-20-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/G0658

Going to toss one last monkey wrench into the equation. The Nova Comet II Midi that is coming out this month. It is 3/4 HP, 16.5 in centers, 12 in swing, Variable speed with reverse. Sounds like it has everything the Delta 46-460 has.... yet it is only $499 compared to $649 for the Delta.

Any opinions on this... I don't have a clue on Nova's track record with their lathes, for the money this seems like a great deal.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/CometII/Nova_CometII.htm

Don, is this the lathe your speaking of?

http://www.pennstate...e/TCLC12WB.html

Yes I bought one for my daughter and she loves it. She is into little bowls and turned boxes. For years she had the little jet but the turncrafter is just plain nicer. On the other hand I would think the little nova that was posted could be a nice lathe. If its anything like their other lathes it will be a hit.

Don

Just to throw my $0.02 in here...

I have the Jet 1220 and I do bowls on it all the time. When I had purchased mine there seemed to be a bit of a supply problem with the Delta products and the 1220 had just come out to replace the 10" version. My only regret in purchasing this lathe is that I did not get one with VS (wasn't out yet). Other than that... it's a good starter lathe.

Now I just need to find the money and space to replace it with a 3520. =)

so the one they show on the woodcraft site isn't available?

It's possible that woodcraft has it, I won't order from them as the shipping charges to Canada are ususally more than the product I'm purchasing. But the central distributor for Black & Decker Canada (previous owners) doesn't have it and the new owners haven't setup distribution to Canada yet (if the new owners are even going to continue making them that is). I can't seem to get an answer from them one way or the other. Which might tell you a lot about their customer service overall.