Jet JDP-12 12-Inch Drill Press

wgeils

I was thinking a bench-top was a better choice for my shop. I have space for a floor standing unit just do not see why I would need one for the woodworking I do. Plus this being my second full size tool (only have a table saw) I want to leave space for other things i will need in the future like a planner and joiner.

What is arbor run out?

and/or should I just by the $100 skill 10" press and use it until I am able to buy a full size press?

Wayne

Arbor run out is basically shaft wobble. The lesser expensive models have smaller motors, sloppier machining and bad chucks. Honestly even the $1000 powermatic is not all that fantastic. I say go a big as you can afford to get the motor to handle forsner bits without stalling. Try grizzly, Im pretty sure the Jets, griz and shop fox are all the same anyways. FWIW I was at lowes and they had a porter cable sitting there and it looked pretty nice for the money.

Don

I just recently purchased the pc model from lowes, it looks nice and runs quiet. My main use for it so far was to hog out waste material for mortises in african mahogany using a 3/8" forstner bit. I noticed at times that the bit seemed forced to move to one side or the other. Does this mean its just not a "great" machine, or is this an issue with the machine that I should not be dealing with?

I just recently purchased the pc model from lowes, it looks nice and runs quiet. My main use for it so far was to hog out waste material for mortises in african mahogany using a 3/8" forstner bit. I noticed at times that the bit seemed forced to move to one side or the other. Does this mean its just not a "great" machine, or is this an issue with the machine that I should not be dealing with?

Look for gib adjusters to tighten it up so the arbor doesnt move side to side.

Don

I think this is the same one I have. I was fortunate to order it through Woodcraft during a sale they had, and got it for much less than it was supposed to be.

I like it a lot. Run out is very little, definitely within workable levels. When assembling it, I'd recommend resting it on it's side while putting the four pieces together. MIne came with the gear rings (for raising and lowering the stock table) already attached, which the manual said would need to be installed. The ring is a little loose, but once I set the table at a comfortable height, I haven't adjusted it once.

I appreciate that it has an LED light, but I didn't count on the laser. It's a cool accessory, but not needed for what I do. I opted for the bench top instead of the floor standing because I wanted to save on space, but now that I've moved, the shop got smaller, and I absolutely have no space for the floor standing. (So I'm thrilled I got the bench top.)

The only times I've wanted the floor standing have been to work on drilling holes in the ends of bed rails, which wouldn't fit in the floor standing unit anyway.

As an option, there are stores out there that have used equipment for sale, both in the restored and yet-to-be-restored category. These do save money as an option, and I did consider it, but I'm glad I opted against the 30 year old drill press.... it was about the floor space of the PM2000...