What Species Is This Veneer And Wood Identification?

VitalBodies

What Species Is This Veneer?

I have an old antique table that I am considering repairing the top on.

From what I can tell the top is made of a number of solid wood frames with veneer in the centers.

One part of the table appears burnt (?) where some of the veneer is gone.

Options might be to replace as little as possible or the whole sheet of veneer.

Table_top_640x360_0.jpg

Larger Image Of Top:

http://www.vitalbodi...1920x1080_0.jpg

I thought I might ask what wood you all thought this might be?

Also, what is the best way to identify wood?

I have seen listings for wood identification kits like this one and there are also books.

I believe that is quartersawn white oak. It is apparent by the diagonal "flakes". If it were me I would not try to repair the table with a new small piece of veneer. I believe denatured alcohol will take away the water spot. Maybe someone else can help here. But as far as the chip goes, I would try to color that area with markers and wax so that it matches. It would be less noticable than a spot replacement, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

It's definitely QSWO, and I'd actually be very surprised if it's a veneer. Aside from oak ply, I don't know that I've ever seen an applied oak veneer. Even white oak is plentiful and cheap enough that it's not worth the effort to veneer it (unless purely for issues around wood movement). The damage you see is more likely just a water stain in the finish. While that can happen with a number of varnishes, it's typically the worst in shellac. When moisture gets into shellac, it turns hazy and white. I'd test the piece with some denatured alcohol on a hidden spot and see if it dissolves the finish. If so, it's shellac, and somewhat easier to repair just that one spot. Otherwise, you may need to strip the entire top and apply a new finish. I'd inspect the underside of the table to see if the grain matches that of the top - if so, it's almost certainly solid wood. You can sand the bottom a bit just to make sure it's not a veneer, but I'd be very surprised if it is.

Thank you all for your comments. I have been trying to ease into wood working with different kinds of projects. Not having a complete tool set just yet (mentally or in the shop), I like to try to refinish antiques that do not need a major overhaul. This helps me stay in the game and learn more about finishing. I get stuck though on some of the details, like what finish is what, or what wood species I am dealing with. With your help I can continue, learn and practice - thanks it means a lot.

Just by chance, or perhaps some other means, the last two antiques I have bought seem to be quarter sawn white oak.

I am still betting on the one in the photo being veneer. I say this because from the way it appears, the veneer is completely gone in some small areas. Can you see that in the bigger photo? To my eye (a total noob) I think that there is alder below that - or some (medium (not hard or soft?)) wood. I will try to post an image of the whole table - it is unusual and might be fun for you to see. I had never seen anything quite like it. The shellac test is helpful, I will try that. Will Everclear work rather than denatured? Everclear makes a great spray for keeping ones hands disinfected while traveling. This finish, what ever it is, did not do well for the table top. There are countless areas that are not white but perhaps blurred, like they lost the shine. If it does come down to veneer, where do you all get that? On Amazon it is about $60 (2' by 8') and Rockler maybe $75 for a 3' by 8'. Looking a bit further I see Rockler also has a $30 piece also that i will have to measure to see if that will work.

If Bois is right, and it is solid wood then would you fill what appears to be missing veneer with the special wax antique repair people use like TimV mentioned?

Bois are you saying it is not likely veneer but instead ply? If, as simple of a concept as that is, I had not considered that.

So, just for the record, I consider veneer a thin wood applied over another wood. Kind of a simpleton concept. If it is more technical than that, I would need to hear what you all think so I do not use the word "veneer" in some way that is different than you all do. To me it looks like a thin layer of wood over a different wood - rather than a stain or dent - and that part of that thin wood is missing. There is staining also in some areas.

Ok, so there are more opinions that this is not veneer than my (perhaps) one and only opinion that it is. Here is a very high resolution image that might help to tell the tale...

I am more than willing to be wrong here. But if I have to totally lose face here, (and eat humble pie) I hope to learn something. : )

To me this looks like veneer. Help me see it otherwise if it is not.

Image: http://www.vitalbodi...1920x1080_0.jpg

Yeah, that pic pretty much makes it obvious it is indeed a veneer. I initially assumed that center board was a floating panel, but since they veneered this piece in order to avoid wood movement problems and it's glued, not floating. Soooo, back to your original question. The only way to repair this would be to replace the veneer on the pieces that are damaged and try to get the colors to match as best as possible. Not the easiest of tasks, since it could be tricky trying to remove the veneer just from that one piece, finding a new veneer that's the right thickness, and then figuring out how you're going to trim it back flush to the edge of the substrate. All much easier to do before assembly.

I am glad that image helped. So how would one normally tell if it is floated rather than glued? Would they try to move it by hand and see if it gives a little? The frame is much thicker that the center panel. Not sure I have seen any videos on removing veneer, is there an easy way to do that? My goal has been to photograph this table but the lighting has not been cooperating. I will upload some crappy images at least.

Here are some images of the table:

Antique_Trestle_Table_640x360_1.jpg

Table: http://www.vitalbodi...1920x1080_1.jpg

Detail: http://www.vitalbodi...1920x1080_0.jpg

Table 2: http://www.vitalbodi...1920x1080_2.jpg

The color is way off on the "Table 2" but the "Detail" is is fairly close. It has been dark and rainy for days so hard for me to shoot a nice image.

You can see some teak chairs that need to be refinished also.

From what I can tell so far this is a White Oak Antique Trestle Table. Would be fun to know more.

Much better pic. It may indeed be veneer. Now throw it out and replace it with a solid top and save yourself a bundle :lol:

The challenge would be going back in time to build the top. And would I need a gun, a hat and horse too, perhaps a wagon? Ah the details, going back in time might cost me more than the veneer!