Latest Version of Split-Top Roubo Plans Available

Marc,

How does the Guild version of the plans differ from the stock plans from Benchcrafted?

The Guild deal for the hardware from Benchcrafted comes w/o a copy of their plans, so we can't make comparisons ourselves.

Perhaps one of the initial videos should cover what's different from the stock Benchcrafted plans, as well as possible variations to accommodate individual needs, budgets, and space constraints.

Thanks,

- Jay

Sorry for the delay in the final plans and PDF, everybody! It's entirely my fault, not Marc's. I'm back at work on it now and will have it done just as soon as I can.

As for differences in the plans vs the Benchcrafted versions, there really isn't much change in the actual design. The biggest thing is really just presentation style. The Benchcrafted plans are HIGHLY detailed, and are very specific about the final dimensions of every joint, nut, and bolt. They are big architectural size prints, and very "engineer-ey". The Guild plans will be a little more 3D visual, like the previous plans for other Guild Builds. We will have SketchUp models and a PDF available. There will be some additional focus on the build process and logical sequencing, instead of just showing the final dimensions of the bench.

There are a few small changes to the design of the bench itself, and a few options for you to chosse from. So far, I can think of these:

• An option to use round instead of square dog holes in the long strip lined up with the tail vise.
  • A couple options for simplifying the end cap joinery.
  • A slightly wider gap in the top to accomodate parallel style clamps.
  • A full length gap stop that spans from end to end of the bench.

For those of you that want the PDF, you should get the Sketchup file also. The ability to look at the bench in 3D, rotate it and look at it from all sides or any angle is very helpful during the build. Sketchup is a free download from Google and available for both Windows and MAC.

I just can't seem to open the Sketchup file that's linked on the guild site. What do I need to download to get to it? I've already installed Sketchup...still no dice.

Just to add to Aaron's comments.... We are staying true to the Benchcrafted plans.......and any place we deviate will be made plain and obvious to you. Like Aaron says, the Benchcrafted plans are very detailed and unless you have an engineer's brain, they might make you go cross-eyed, lol. We hope that the SketchUp-derived plans will give you a visual representation that is more easily digested by the average builder. So there really will be no reason to have the Benchcrafted set of plans on hand and in fact, it just might confuse things.