lilac wood

duckkisser

my brother cut out his lilac tree/bush and i went and grabed it up i hear its nice to turn or carve but from what i hear you have to be careful preping it because it tends to split and crack easily as it dries. well i jumped on the lathe and took the bark off and as im triming it up im thinking it will smell a little flower like but nope. It smelled like a pumpkin takes me back to my distant child like memories of holloween. specificly it took me back to last week when i carved out some pumpkins just for the hell of it after 6 years of not doing anything for holloween. anyone ever used lilac? and what do you like to use to seal up your wood as it dries? preferable something i can pick up at menards or lowes since they are down the street and i get a hell of a discount.

I don't have much to offer other then the other day I noticed while cutting some up for firewood that the heartwood had a nice purple color, are you getting the same thing? The stuff was about 3" in diameter so I thought some coasters or something would be kind of a cool use for it.....

ok to demonstrait how badly it cracks up i didnt seal the ends and took it inside the next morning it had almost crack in half all the way from one end to ther other. i dont have any anchorseal so i just threw some latex paint on the second piece to see if that helps it.hopefully the second piece i turned will hold up better in the mean time i took the wood outside where its still damp enought to keep it from spliting.