solid black wood

duckkisser

ok so i came across this article http://www.wwgoa.com...ebonizing-wood/. i put a piece of cherry in a jar of this stuff for a month and when i cut in half the wood had completly soaked up the vinegar and turned the inside black as well. got it drying now i am going to try sanding it to see what it does but i think i have created solid black lumber like gabon ebony. if anyone know what the average price of ebony is by the bf i would be apreciative. kinda thinking it might be nice to get a tub of vinegar and make my own boards then maybe selling on ebay.

I've been using the Japanese version of this technique for decades. The Iron Acetate solution I make is called Ohaguro. It's made from pieces of iron that are heated red-hot, then dropped into either rice vinegar, sake or beer. It is aged for about six months before using. If needed, a strong green tea solution is used for a source of tannin. Sometimes we add the green tea solution directly to the Ohaguro before using.

6 months seems like a long time hobomonk. wait isn't ohaguro where married women would blacken there teeth? the steel wire or i have heard rusted screws seems to work best i let my vinegar sit a month and it works right away. recently i let the wood soak for a month and took it out cut in half and sanded it down. the wood is solid black with little light coloring differences around the grain of the wood. have you let your wood soak or have you just put on surface? if you happen to have any of your ohaguro wood can you post a picture so i can see the difference between yours and mine.