starting point question

cowchaser

Ok, I am going to throw out another question to may make myself look even stupider. Let's see it was established what I basically needed to concentrate on to get started. Well I have given that some thought and some other questions have arose. Basically I have all the tools needed to build something. Now some are not the best like my clamps. I have a few pipe clamps that are 5 ft. long. (6 total) several sizes of a cheap f clamp that is a denalli brand and a few irwin hand clamps. No this is what I am looking to build. It is basically a seat with open cubbies under it for baskets and lockers on the back of it going up from the seat that the kids will hang there coats in ect...

Now I know I need somethings like squares (looking at starret) or anything else to help out with projects. I have a square, but it isn't close. I also know I need other things, but it's not crossing my mind what all I need.

I do have the money to buy tools, jointer, planer anything for that matter if I need it. Just need someone to guide they way. I just don't want to run out and buy a bunch of crap I don't need and feel stupid about it in the end and looking for some place to put it besides that. Any help? Any guidance? Anyone? I know most will say, just buy it all you'll need it eventually. Well I want quality stuff, not stuff that won't work or just will get me by.

This first project is going to be made from plywood, unless there is a reason not to make it from that if that helps.

To me, it sounds like you are in overload mode. What I mean is, you have this desire to build "something". I'm speaking from personal experience when I say this. Build something. Something will happen, you'll get stuck, you'll figure out what you need when that need comes up. If you are simply working on skill building projects, and wanting to use plywood (nothing wrong with that) I'll throw out the recommendation of a quality pocket hole jig. The Kreg piece is a nice one. I use mine more for jig building in the shop and stuff, but there's nothing wrong with using it in a project either.

There are a few core tools that everyone should have. You can't go wrong with a Starrett square. However might a suggest a 6" over the 12". I have both and use the 6 10x1 to the 12. Smaller, lighter, and easier to control.

Don't run out, and drop a ton of dough on tools. Keep building, and your tool collection with grow faster than you think. Just ask my wife, she'll tell you ;)

Like Ben said, you're ready to just start your project now. Break it down into steps, and as you start each step, just take a moment and figure out what you are about to do. Think it through in your head and figure out what tools you are going to use. If you discover that you need something you don't have, that's the time to run out and buy it.

Don't worry about having absolutely everything before you start. There's no way you can anticipate everything. Other than running out of clamps right in the middle of a glue-up when the glue is dripping off the pieces, it shouldn't be a problem to just stop and get something if you need it.

One personal recommendation I would make (and this is just me and my opinion), is that if this is your first project and you are making a bunch of cubes and such out of plywood, look into using pocket screws, like the kreg system. Glueing plywood to plywood and getting a strong joint can be difficult, especially when you are starting out, whereas if you go with pocket screws you just drill the holes, line up the pieces, insert the screws, and you're done. It may not be as fancy as other methods, but they are strong and will keep the project simple enough that you can concentrate on the design instead of tricky glue-ups and so on.

Sorry to hear that you are in the hospital, I wish you a speedy recovery. The good news is that your wife (if you have one) will feel sympathetic about you just leaving the hospital and you might be able to take advantage of that with some big tool purchases.

I can definitely relate to your angst when it comes to tool purchases and where to start. I got into woodworking about 10 months ago and was lost, confused and overwhelmed (I still am :D ). I made a couple or several really poor purchases that I later regretted and almost gave up the hobby all together. Here are some of the mistakes that I made. First off I bought a used mediocre table saw and I could not get the fence to stay parallel to the blade. This made woodworking a nightmare for me. I also got caught up in buying stuff that I thought would make my life easier but proved to be little help. I ended up getting rid of a bunch of the useless garbage that I don't need and am planning on making some new purchases similar to what you have in mind. Good luck I would like to know what tools you end up buying.