Sawstop tabletop that should be

bladerunner

Impressive!

I agree that the SS extension table is weakest point of the entire product. I had to have mine replaced when it was sagging in the middle. I exchanged a few emails and pics with their customer service, and while they did send me a new one, it is the same design as thge old one. I refuse to install it until I properly reinforce it (I am currently using the "temporary" table I made, so I could install a router lift, but I do hope to go back to the all-black look).

I sent them a lot of feedback on the design and choice of materials, including some design suggestions. I am betting they chose to keep their current design - unfortunately. I think a well-built extension table with proper reinforcement for a router lift would be a popular item (Steve G, are you reading this??), especially with their 110V 1.5HP "homeowner version" (I am betting that the demographic of users needing a 110V only saw also are more likely to need the space saving aspect of a built in router table).

I agree that the SS extension table is weakest point of the entire product. I had to have mine replaced when it was sagging in the middle. I exchanged a few emails and pics with their customer service, and while they did send me a new one, it is the same design as thge old one. I refuse to install it until I properly reinforce it (I am currently using the "temporary" table I made, so I could install a router lift, but I do hope to go back to the all-black look).

John, which model of SawStop do you own? The one with the sagging extension table. Thanks.

Probably the nicest extension table I've ever seen. :)

But...do you plan to support the end of it somehow? If you're planning to use it as a workbench, I'm not sure I'd wanna be pounding on it when it's attached to my TS rails...just something to think about. It also might be pretty end-heavy once you mount the vise and start planing, chiseling, etc...could try to tip on you.

Looks very nice, though.

That's kinda cool.

Just curious, how did you allow for the movement of the wood?

Well, I wondered about that too since the distance between the rails based on cast iron won't vary. First, I have measured the top over the past 6 months into our cooler, dryer winter weather and any change is negligible. Second, I didn't just put lag bolts into the wood at each side. I ran a 5/16 threaded rod all the way across under the table top and connected the bolts across the table. Luckily, they matched up. I only had to cut a small channel to accommodate that. I will back those dados up with a 1" x 3" across the dado. At least I am attempting to have the method that secures the top to restraint the top. Time will tell on this.

Impressive!

I sent them a lot of feedback on the design and choice of materials, including some design suggestions. I am betting they chose to keep their current design - unfortunately. I think a well-built extension table with proper reinforcement for a router lift would be a popular item (Steve G, are you reading this??), especially with their 110V 1.5HP "homeowner version" (I am betting that the demographic of users needing a 110V only saw also are more likely to need the space saving aspect of a built in router table).

One of my main reasons to drop this table in is to added my Jessem router lift into the table. That black laminate top is just not something SawStop should be putting on their saw. I might use it as an outfeed table.

But...do you plan to support the end of it somehow? If you're planning to use it as a workbench, I'm not sure I'd wanna be pounding on it when it's attached to my TS rails...just something to think about. It also might be pretty end-heavy once you mount the vise and start planing, chiseling, etc...could try to tip on you.

Looks very nice, though.

Yes. Legs. Surprisingly, the SawStop still supports even that heavy top. But I wouldn't pound on it. The ones that come with the old top need to be shortened to work. That's an option. Or I have some 1.5" diameter thick wall aluminum stock that I may use. Or I may go to 8/4 maple for the legs. Not sure yet. They need to be adjustable and that adds complexity. Or I may go to that channelled aluminum so I can make it adjustable using their feet and would be easily able to add sliding brackets to the sides of the legs. I am trying to stay close to the SawStop look however. I am leaning toward the 1.5" legs powdercoated just like the originals.

Looks very nice, though.

Also, adding that nice Lee Valley twin screw vise to the end of the bench! I emailed Marc about it and it said he really liked it. I have played around with it at the Lee Valley booth at the woodworking show and decided to go for it.

Been trying to figure this out for a while. I want a maple woodworking bench top that should be the table extension that Sawstop sells. Finally got the tabletop mounted and still need to mount the Lee Valley vise on the end of it. But at least progress has taken place. This is a 1.75 maple top from Woodcraft.

Oh yeah. I cut the top about a 1/16th over and then hand jointed it to fit perfectly with my Lee Valley 7 jointer. Wow will planing 1.75thick butcher block maple wear you out! Joint a little, test fit, joint a little, test fit........ But it just fits perfect.

Yes. Legs. Surprisingly, the SawStop still supports even that heavy top. But I wouldn't pound on it. The ones that come with the old top need to be shortened to work. That's an option. Or I have some 1.5" diameter thick wall aluminum stock that I may use. Or I may go to 8/4 maple for the legs. Not sure yet. They need to be adjustable and that adds complexity. Or I may go to that channelled aluminum so I can make it adjustable using their feet and would be easily able to add sliding brackets to the sides of the legs. I am trying to stay close to the SawStop look however. I am leaning toward the 1.5" legs powdercoated just like the originals.

Definitely get some legs under that bad boy. If you dont want to make legs you can just order some from any of the saw manufacturers like jet, powermatic, grizzly........ They are all the same they are all geetech saws including the sawstop. They have adjusters and a piece of angle welded to the top.

Don

Definitely get some legs under that bad boy. If you dont want to make legs you can just order some from any of the saw manufacturers like jet, powermatic, grizzly........ They are all the same they are all geetech saws including the sawstop. They have adjusters and a piece of angle welded to the top.

Don

I forgot about Grizzly. I do remember seeing that in their catalog. They aren't too far south of me. It's a good drive for a day. Went down to get my bandsaw and made a day of it. Will have to check them out again.