Acknowledgment for your design?

TheSpoonman

marc -

i noticed that you mentioned that your end grain cutting board podcast may have actually spawned a thousand cutting boards. well now, it has started a cutting board company. :) i made one for my wife (with maple and walnut) and some friends ordered one and some of their friends also wanted one, and once i got comfortable making them i started making my own designs, made myself a logo, ordered a branding iron, and now i am starting to market them to the public. (in the past 4 months i have sold 15 boards of various designs with only word-of-mouth - i hope to start aggressively marketing them this spring here in Saint Paul, MN.)

http://www.facebook....anCuttingBoards

when it's for friends, it's one thing, but now that i'm actually going into business i just wanted to check with you about your design. do you mind if i offer it as one of my available/standard designs? if you would like, i am more than happy to acknowledge you in the marketing material (original design by marc spagnuolo, or something like that) and even in the "title" of the board. ("the wood whisperer" board?) i am also willing to stop using the design if you would like. it was the first cutting board that i made and i really love it and would love to keep making it, but understand completely if you'd rather i didn't. i really appreciate the podcasts and expertise that you so freely share, as well the cutting board that we use every day in our kitchen and it's role in the new path my life has taken.

what do you think?

many thanks,

conrad

• Like 1

You're making some nice-looking boards there Conrad! So glad you were able to take things to the next level with the business.

Thank you for asking about giving credit. A short mention in the fine print would be adequate. I certainly didn't invent the end grain board nor the "designer" end grain board. But the pattern I use is pretty specific as it essentially happened accidentally. So when I see folks selling the exact design without so much as a mention of where they got the idea, it does kind of annoy me. But I usually don't pursue it since I put the plan out there for the world to enjoy. Its only natural that people are going to build them and possibly sell them. And frankly, it does my heart good to think that little cutting board could possibly inspire someone to delve deeper into their craft. So its all good!

Best of luck to you Conrad!

• Like 1