Need some Help! Old barn wood i found! What is it?

Jack Medure

Nice looking wood. In my experience, walnut has a greyish brown tint when freshly milled.

That photo shows a brownish wood with black stripes.

Did you apply some water or finish on the wood?

It is porous.

The flash of the camera makes it difficult to see the wood clearly.

How does the end grain looks like?

Is that the only sample you've got?

Maybe a few more photo's from a different angle wil show it more clearly.

There are two coats of satin wipe on Poly, it is the only piece I milled down, I will be working with some more tomorrow. I have a few different kinds and ages of walnut in my shop and none of it looks like that. It was barn planking, I planned about 1/8 th off each side to get down to a good surface. I will get some better pictures to put up tomorrow.

Ditto to the walnut. In my area pine and oak are about all that barns were commonly made from, but it is the best pine or oak you can find. Were you able to get a bunch? Make sure you use a respirator when working with it, you will usually hear this about black walnut but regular walnut is just as bad-it's the only wood I have a reaction to.

here is a snap of the back of the wood, there is some runs but it shows the wood natural.

Just curious Jack. Are you planning on finishing both sides of the board in the picture? With two coats of poly on one side only, you’ll get un-equal moisture transfer (in and out) from both sides of the board over time, which could result in warping. Just a thought.

That was just a sample I cut to see what it looks like and threw a little Polly on it. I like to just finish a piece of wood and leave it laying around the house, helps me come up with projects and ideas. I planed the rest of the wood today, it's all in really good condition. 4/4 to 8/4 in thickness about 90 bft of it. Really happy with the find.