Refinish Wood Entry Door

felice2

I recently bought a new (used) house that has had the front door neglected. Its finish is cracking and door is very dry. House is about 15 years old and definitely has had nothing done to it over the last 5 years. I have included a photo from the inside and will update my question with photo from outside once I take possession next week.

After watching episode 46 from wood whisperer ( Desert Outdoor Finish 4/15/08) was wondering if anyone had used the Epifane blend on an exterior door in the midwest. The house is in Michigan and the door faces West.

The project at this point looks to hand sand the door , restain and put on a top coat for which I was thinking of using the blend of Naphta, Boiled linseed oil, and marine varnish as blended in episode 46.

I also have an Earlex sprayer and hoping to apply the topcoat with it.

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated on how to bring the outside of this door back to look as good as the inside.

Thanks

post-3604-0-19582200-1326975014_thumb.jp

post-3604-0-77808400-1326975033_thumb.jp

If you want a FANTASTIC clear coat product, check out Kwik Kleen Fast Dry Exterior Polyurethane. This product handles as easily as nitrocellulose lacquer, but leaves a super durable surface. It's intended for the pro market only, and often used on church, mall, and restaurant exterior wood.

I can't say enough good about it.