Bob Flexner's Finishing 101 book for $1 until midnight

Jim_WoodWarden

Popular Woodworking's book sales site has Bob Flexner's Finishing 101 book on sale until midnight tonight (January 19, 2011) for $1. I thought other Woodwhisperer folks might want to get this most excellent book while it it is priced so incredibly low.

For those who do not know Flexner knows finishing inside and out and he has another book Understanding Wood Finishing which is a very complete tome about everything you wanted to know about finishing and a lot of details you probably don't care to know, its a good book but honestly almost too much detail. Read the Understanding Wood Finishing book if you really want to learn all the minutiae of finishing.

The Finishing 101, boils the finishing process down to simple to follow steps using all the commonly available finishes and stains from the big box hardware stores. It's intended to just get the process steps communicated so you can pull off good quality finishes without going into all the science behind why particular finish or stain works. Definitely worth getting at regular price and a bargain at $1.

Go to Megan Fitzpatrick's Blog post to see the details or go to ShopWoodworking.com to order.

There are only two reviews up for this book on Amazon. The five star review reviewed the print edition. The other guy who reviewed it gave it a 1 star but he had the Kindle edition and is complaining that none of the pictures look right on the Kindle in black and white. I can see how a book that is full of a lot of color pictures would be difficult to gain much of the information from on an e-Ink eReader.

I have his Understanding Wood FInishign book and I know I have heard Marc and Matt discuss it on Wood Talk Radio as kind of a bible on finishing. I have not had my hands on Finishing 101 yet, but for a $1 and $4.95 shipping and handling I figure I am out only $6 and that is a pretty good price for a book on the subject. I know Bob Flexner's reputation as an expert on finishing is well founded based on UWF and his columns in Popular Woodworking so I would expect a book like this would do a good job of simplifying the finishing process to a sort of step-by-step cookbook sort of approach for those of us who just want a good finish but don't want to be an expert on all things finishing.

Amaozon does let you do the Look Inside function on their page http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Finishing-101-Step-Step/dp/1440308454/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top so you can get some idea what the book covers that way. When I saw Megan's blog post on my RSS feed I just went on over and ordered it since the price was hard to beat and I knew Flexner knows his stuff when it comes to finishing.