Cherry Bookcase

rpike

This bookcase was a commission that I recently completed. It is solid and veneer cherry. The dimensions are 76" wide by 120" tall. The back is all full length ship lapped random width pieces. The customers wanted something that filled a large niche in their office that would look like it had been there for years and this is what we came up with together. There are several things I don't like about it, but it's not going in my home. The finish is shellac tinted with transtint, glaze and poly. It took about 80 hrs to complete working in the shop before and after my full-time job.

The wheels you see in the picture are just a shop dolly I have the bookcase on. Without which it would be impossible for me to move it around the shop. Also, I'm a terrible photographer.

post-2509-0-07134300-1327090376_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I really like it! You can see the detail that went into the trimwork and as far as the design I think you hit the mark using the random width planks. The finish looks is spot on.. Only thing I will say (and it's NOT negative) is that it's a beast :-) That's a big piece of furniture :o

Nice Job!

The customers loved it, so now there are more matching bookcases to come along with a desk.

Good deal!

One question: If it really does fit floor to ceiling, how did you get it installed without scraping a corner when you set it upright? Does it come apart somehow?

-- Russ

Good deal!

One question: If it really does fit floor to ceiling, how did you get it installed without scraping a corner when you set it upright? Does it come apart somehow?

-- Russ

The headpiece (about the top 13") is removable. Once the bookcase was in place the headpiece went on and a moulding was applied where the top meets the case. I'll post pictures of the installed bookcase in a week or so after I go back to install matching crown to the rest of the office.