First (successful) Turned Bowl

ChrisFaulkner

I recently purchased a lathe off of Craigslist and am trying to teach myself how to use it. It came with a bunch of chisels, gouges, and scrapers but the hardest part is trying to figure out exactly what each tool is. I started turning a few spindle projects between centers to see how everything works and yesterday I turned my first bowl out of a piece of cherry that I harvested out of a tree I helped cut down a couple of months ago. I stated with the blank between centers and turned the outside, then hot glued it to a waste block that was attached to a faceplate to hollow out the outside. I finished it up by turning it around and turing the foot using a jam chuck and the tailstock. It was a lot of fun and I see myself making more when I have time. I did get a couple of odd lines on the inside of the finished project, I think that they are tools marks but I'm not sure. Any feedback appreciated.

post-5712-0-79752400-1327092141_thumb.jp

post-5712-0-94621200-1327092387_thumb.jp

That is good looking bowl. And nice job turning it without a chuck. Looks like you are off to a great start. You might check your local library for any woodturning books or DVDs. Nothing wrong with using a coarse grit sandpaper to get rid of the tools marks before sanding with progressively higher grits.

• 2 weeks later...

They look great especially for your first time I think one of the most important things I have learned about turning is that your tools need to be very sharp and your need to learn or have someone teach you how to keep them as sharp as possible then it makes turning more fun and more easy to do. Good luck I am a Newbie to and I am addicted to turning its a lot of fun make some pens and keychains you will love it