How thick is S2S 1" material?

tombuhl

How thick is S2S 1 inch material?

Usually about 13/16"

which can be a problem if material has twist or other deformations

and you are looking to get 3/4" stock.

Old-growth Mahogany from Greener Lumber LLC S2S stock has always been over 1" for me.

Sometimes as much as 1/16, average maybe ±1/32.

Latest project I am using 5/8 inch stretchers. Resawing fat enough to yield that, gives me 1/4 (even after finish milling) material for other projects. Makes me smile.

The old-growth Mahogany is not cheap, but getting better utilization than usual lessens the pain.

At this time Greener Lumber inventory is pretty picked over, but hopefully their pipeline will begin flowing soon.

rock on.

p.s. It also means you can get a 1 inch thick (or close) top without going to 5 or 6/4

p.s.s. One of the pix is Greener Lumber's rough sawn stock, which I've found about 1-1/8 inch thick

post-357-0-91903900-1328066795_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-50845300-1328066798_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-15296700-1328066801_thumb.jpg

I NEED to get myself a bandsaw to resaw rough lumber.... what kind of bandsaw do you use Tom?

Brian, I have a Grizzly 17" (model G0513). It was a "value" purchase. Nice capacity and power for the buck. Fit and finish not outstanding, but good company service when a few items arrived defective. There are other products out there worth checking out as well. For resawing I'd say you want to go at least a 14 inch model and 2 or 3 hp. This from a non-expert, but probably sound advice. The larger size is nice for handling wider case pieces or wide resawing.

One question I've had is the soundness of using a riser block on 14 inch model to gain more height clearance (throat clearance is not increased with this add-on). I've heard some grumbling that the riser block approach is not the most sound over time. But haven't had that confirmed by vetted sources.

Resawing is definitely a nice capacity to have in your arsenal. Band saws have many other uses as well.

You have my permission to go out and buy a band saw, unless you have a birthday coming up soon, in which case you can put one on your wish list.

Tom, Ive been eying up the jet 14". I already own a jet table saw and have had 0 issues with it over the past year and a half, so I'm definitely thinking another Jet product would fit my shop well! Its also next on my list of tools right after my brother and I finish rehabbing an old 6 1/8" jointer we received free from my wife's grandfather.