Alternatives to the Benchcrafted Tail Vise??

jgfore

I really like the Benchcrafted Tail Vise, but I just can not see paying that much money for one vise. I realize that it is supposed to be very smooth and all, but I had rather make a not-so-smooth vise into a smooth vise by lapping the threads, than to spend that kind on money on the tail vise. I do want it to function just like the benchcrafter tail vise though. Most of the tail vises that I have seen look as though they are made specifically to move the should or end cap instead of moving a dog block. I may have to machine my own parts to make it. If someone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Remember: I want the dog block to move and not the end cap or shoulder.

I really like the Benchcrafted Tail Vise, but I just can not see paying that much money for one vise. I realize that it is supposed to be very smooth and all, but I had rather make a not-so-smooth vise into a smooth vise by lapping the threads, than to spend that kind on money on the tail vise. I do want it to function just like the benchcrafter tail vise though. Most of the tail vises that I have seen look as though they are made specifically to move the should or end cap instead of moving a dog block. I may have to machine my own parts to make it. If someone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Remember: I want the dog block to move and not the end cap or shoulder.

Jeff in my opinion it all comes down to how valuable your time is. This vise, even if you buy benchcrafted is going to take up a good amount of time to put in. In my case building a vise is cost prohibitive. What I mean by that is that time is money and why would I want to re-engineer something that someone has already perfected, I'd rather just the bench done that much quicker and get back to making furniture. Just some food for thought.

KAISER OUT!!!