Selling Builds?

kc0dxh

Considering the lack of any woodworking education opportunities in my area, I've been considering purchasing a membership. Are there any restrictions that would prevent me from selling what I make? I build some things now for a part-time income and would like to expand my repertoire and skills.

Hell, if you build it sell it. Don't ever lie about where a design came from. Always give credit to the designer. Take credit for the skills and if you can make money from selling a piece, go for it!!! Good luck!!! I would add that if the designer is still alive, I'd do my best to get permission to copy their design. Integrity in any circumstance is a great value.

Hell, if you build it sell it. Don't ever lie about where a design came from. Always give credit to the designer. Take credit for the skills and if you can make money from selling a piece, go for it!!! Good luck!!! I would add that if the designer is still alive, I'd do my best to get permission to copy their design. Integrity in any circumstance is a great value.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• 4 months later...

I'll add my $0.02. This topic was raised in a recent Wood magazine (I'll try to find the exact issue). If I remember correctly, the editor stated that all plans, cutlists, drawings, etc. were copyright the author. You are granted permission to build for yourself, or gifts, but any money-making endeavors were frowned upon. I'm not even going to pretend to understand the legal implications, but I think Vic nailed it. Do your best to get permission to copy the design, and take it one step further with permission to sell the results.

Edit: I realize this doesn't apply to Guild builds, necessarily, but since I'm not very creative I have a tendency to build from plans in magazines.