Putting a switch in an extension cord??

Pbmaster11

I am looking to put a standard wall switch in an extension cord so I do not have to keep reaching under the table to turn on my shop vac for general cleaning, with my TS55, or router work. A festool Dust Extractor is what is going to be on the future splurge list!

But does anyone know how to wire a standard wall switch or some other switch to an electrical cord? Videos? Links? Diagrams?

You could install a switch / single outlet combos into a suitable box, then cut off the female end of an extension cord and wire it to the device. Any home center has them.

One thought though... This is one of those "if you gotta' ask" situations. It's not difficult, but it's important to do it correctly.

The device will most likely be marked for white and black wires, the green terminal gets the green ground wire. Make sure you use a box designed to be used outside a wall, and attach the strain relief properly to prevent a the live wires from being accidentally pulled out of the box. If you''re not sure, at least have someone local who is familiar and comfortable with a/c wiring inspect your work.

I've never liked having a switch in the middle of a cord like you're talking about. There's always gonna be strain relief problems like CPB mentioned, and at least sometimes, you're gonna have to hold on to the switch with one hand while you operate it with the other. Not exactly convenient.

So I wonder, what do you mean when you say you don't want to "keep reaching under the table"? Maybe if you could explain that, we could come up with a better solution than having a switch dangling on wire somewhere.

-- Russ

I currently have the shop vac under the wing of my table saw. I use it to clean up the shop, connect to my track saw, or my router table. It has a not so smooth switch on the actual machine. I would like to put a switch in the extension cord that is powering it so i can hit the switch bypassing reaching under and dealing with the standard on/off switch.

EDIT:

Can the craftsman autoswitch just turn on the machine when i need it?

If you want the auto-switched vac to operate without any tool plugged in, stick a night light into the outlet, or move the vac cord from the auto switch to the wall outlet.

You could also purchase a 120v dust collector remote and turn the vac on and off from all over the place, even outside. :D 120v remotes also come in handy with HVLP turbines if you ever decide to get one.

Or, you could just wire up the switch mentioned earlier. Lots of options...

You could install a switch / single outlet combos into a suitable box, then cut off the female end of an extension cord and wire it to the device. Any home center has them.

One thought though... This is one of those "if you gotta' ask" situations. It's not difficult, but it's important to do it correctly.

The device will most likely be marked for white and black wires, the green terminal gets the green ground wire. Make sure you use a box designed to be used outside a wall, and attach the strain relief properly to prevent a the live wires from being accidentally pulled out of the box. If you''re not sure, at least have someone local who is familiar and comfortable with a/c wiring inspect your work.

I installed this on my shop vac. works great!

I've done the same thing. Cut an extension cord to size needed. Get a wall switch (get a 20 amp one) and a box, with lid, for the switch.

Run both wires into the box, going thru cable clamps, to secure the insulated wires to the box. Inside, connect white to white, and green to green, with wire nuts, and tape. Attach each black wire to terminals on the switch. Put cover on, and your done.