Shooting Board!

Jjmedure

i want to make a shooting but i seem to get a little confused when looking at plans. It seems pretty straight foward and simple but the part tha confuses me is from what i gather the blade will be riding aganst the the wood that should be keeping the plane at 90 degrees. It also seems like it would ride aganst the stop that is holding the piece you are planing. By doing this wouldnt the plane cut into both pieces of the jig?

Might be a dumb question but its my question!

Thanks in advance!

Not dumb questions! Better to think about it before building it. The blade _will_ cut into the side of the vertical runner, but it won't cut through the entire height of it, since ( as long as you don't use a rabbeting plane) the blade doesn't cover the width of the plane. This means that the first few passes will take material off the runner, but it won't continue to do so.

As for the fence, you should set it (or trim it) so that it ends right where the plane blade cuts. Hope that helps!

--James

Not dumb questions! Better to think about it before building it. The blade _will_ cut into the side of the vertical runner, but it won't cut through the entire height of it, since ( as long as you don't use a rabbeting plane) the blade doesn't cover the width of the plane. This means that the first few passes will take material off the runner, but it won't continue to do so.

As for the fence, you should set it (or trim it) so that it ends right where the plane blade cuts. Hope that helps!

--James

that's kinda what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure before i built one. thanks for the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...