Spray booth alternatives

dwacker

Im giving my son in law my hvlp, so were looking for some ideas for alternatives to a spray booth. The shop is nice with a 16ft door on both ends so ventilation is no issue. The only thing that will be sprayed is clears either precat or WB. Even with just clears you end up with overspray dust on everything. Ive see those little booths where people use a box fan with filter, and cant really see a little box fan doing much of anything. So the kids bright idea is a wall of box fans, mayber 9 or 12 of them all screwed togethter mounted in a rolling frame with a filter over each one. It would be thin, light, cheap and can be rolled out of the way. In theory I guess if he sprayed right towards the fans it would pull the majority of the overspray and keep the dust from settling all over the shop. Before he spends the time and money Id love to hear some opinions on this. Really dont want to turn it into an explosion proof debate.

Don

Don,

My first thought is that would work if you were only spraying Water Born finishes. Lacquer finishes with all those box fans is a fire waiting to happen. something like this which is explosion proof and puts almost 1700 cfm with some filters in front of it would do the trick. You can use the same idea of the knock down booth. Not to turn it into an explosion proof debate...I was a career firefighter in a past life though.

Don,

My first thought is that would work if you were only spraying Water Born finishes. Lacquer finishes with all those box fans is a fire waiting to happen. something like this which is explosion proof and puts almost 1700 cfm with some filters in front of it would do the trick. You can use the same idea of the knock down booth. Not to turn it into an explosion proof debate...I was a career firefighter in a past life though.

The kids not going to listen. He's watched me spray lacquer for years with the shop heater running, bad influences the inside of my shop heater is white with precat overspray. Assuming for a minute its just WB only would the wall of fans do anything worth trying?

Don

I think they wood work, especially if you made a grid of box fans, lets say you use 9 at about $90 dollars and a total surface area of 25 square feet. Everything that i can find on 20" box fans says that you can get up to 2500 CFM per fan on the highest speed wide open so lets say for easy math the filters will reduce the fans efficiency by 90% giving an output of 250 CFM, times 9 fans is 2250 cfm over a surface area of 25 square feet. To put the number into perspective regulations require a spray booth to output based on size, the equation is (width x height x 100). So using the most conservative cfm numbers it would still put out enough CFM's to be more that adequate.

I guess a long story short I think it would work really well.

I think they wood work, especially if you made a grid of box fans, lets say you use 9 at about $90 dollars and a total surface area of 25 square feet. Everything that i can find on 20" box fans says that you can get up to 2500 CFM per fan on the highest speed wide open so lets say for easy math the filters will reduce the fans efficiency by 90% giving an output of 250 CFM, times 9 fans is 2250 cfm over a surface area of 25 square feet. To put the number into perspective regulations require a spray booth to output based on size, the equation is (width x height x 100). So using the most conservative cfm numbers it would still put out enough CFM's to be more that adequate.

I guess a long story short I think it would work really well.

:) I went and got just one 20" box fan at lowes and a cheap filter. The fan has the power to hold the filter to the fan but thats about it. It wont even pull smoke 6" inches. Guess this probably isnt going to work out.

Don