Shellac on dining table, BAD.

Josh the Grain Guy

Shellac on a dinning table is a bad idea. I love the finish so much, I had to see for myself. Maybe a good coat of furniture wax will do the trick? NO.

Right away upon use the finish started to show wear.

I have sanded the finish to even out marks from hot bowls of soup. I had to sand and build my finish back up in these areas that now im starting to fill the grain. I want a bad ass finish, so I decided to keep building my finish to fill all the grain. I am brushing my wax free shellac cross grain, sanding smooth, and slowly filling all the grain. Next I plan to top coat with General Finishes High Performance top coat.

OH, and the table is qs white oak from way back.

Is this a good choice for a duable top coat?

How long should I let the many layers of shellac dry before appling it?

Is there such a thing as to much shellac?

Anyone have any tips on grain filling with shellac? And the table is stained so I have to be careful not to burn through my shellac.

Later fellas

Make sure your shellac is block sanded smooth to about 400/600 grit staying off the edges to prevent sand through. Clean and remove the dust. I would give the shellac a good week to dry since your applying the shellac on pretty thick and the shellac needs to gas off from the deep grain pockets of the oak.

Yes General Finishes High Performance is very durable and fine for table tops.

• 3 weeks later...