Lathe Stand

BigBen

After having my lathe fall on me a while ago, I decide that an upgrade the my lathe stand was in order. I needed to upgrade the mobile base on my lathe from the hodge podge set up I had, which involved lifting each side of the lathe and kicking the hinged wheels underneath. I also wanted to add storage and improve the way I weighted down the stand.

I made base support is made from 2"x4" half lapped together. This is the support the weight. The legs have a slot for 2" x4"s to be mounted and plywood was screwed to the sides and plywood bottem is added. Cement blocks (32lbs each) were added to the ballast box.

2.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

I also added storage section for gouges and tools, the storage slots are 1.5" PVC pipe. The pipes are not secured to the unit so I can remove them and put in a 5 gallon bucket when I travel. Carpet was attached to the back to prevent damaging the tips of of the tools. The space below the gouge storage is store the Tail stock. The draws have been added for additional storage of chucks, bits, sanding supplies etc.

9.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

The final item added to the stand was four boat trailer jacks. This was a major improvement in mobility.

• Like 2

hopefully the lathe wasent damaged.....oh and your ok right?...............if your like me and cant remember which tools is which with the blade down in the pipe you might want to put a sticker on the ends. like yellow for gouges, red for parting tools ect.... my lathe is bolted to a 4 foot by 8 foot solid oak table. so if the lathe moves the entire table moves and that would be something to see.

How big a lathe do you use? I went with a 2x4 half-lap frame/panel construction on my bench lathe, with the final dimensions closer to 2x3. (Basic built tool table plan offered by Wood Magazine.) While I don't particularly like how they did the middle shelf (rests on supports bolted to the pegboard resting in grooves on the inside of the 2x"4" frame), the lower shelf and table top have not given me structural problems. (my sole table top problem comes from an unknown leak in the A/C unit, directly above the table... Not the table's fault.) I have not considered the boat jack before...

Did you make a hollow panel for them to attach to, or is it solid wood? And how much hassle is it to adjust all four to the same height? Or are you just trying to get the table high enough to move?

Nice job, by the way. I've considered a PVC storage rack, although I considered attaching them together instead of loose. In the end, I opted for holes drilled into a 2x4 scrap. (I was playing with the drill press the other day... Needed an excuse to get back into the shop after winter hibernation.)