Has anyone here ever sucked their band saw table insert into the dust collector?

CessnaPilotBarry

screws, bolts, etc through the floor sweep. I'm sure I've lost a bunch of other stuff, but I figure if I don't notice it's gone, then I didn't need it in the first place.... You always get that slightly sinking feeling with the pronounced metallic skittering in the duct work, followed by a clunk from the cyclone...

The floor sweeps in my shop are strong enough to make the pet cat disappear... Now come to think of it, haven't seen him in a while...

• Like 1

My bandsaw attaches to a quick connect port shared by several mobile tools, including a mortiser and drum sander. It's not plumbed into 6" pipe, like the jointer, table saw, router table, etc...

I like to zip around the tool with the hose before rolling it back to it's parking spot. Yesterday, as I zipped the hose across the saw's table to vacuum the miter slot and fence channel, the metal insert shot out of the table, and from ~ 6" away, sucked right into the system.

I have a cyclone, so I thought the insert would be in the drum... No dice.

After much searching, I realized it had fallen flat in a main trunk. First, I tried face jointing heavy passes off a wide board, hoping the large chips would push it the rest of the way. That didn't work, so I disconnected the cyclone, inserted a chicken wire grate, and shoved towels into the end of the hose. After starting the machine, I held the cyclone intake hose to the ductwork, and with a giant THUMP, the towels were sucked through the system, including the insert!

Maybe I'll make a grate to go over the hose end when I "vacuum"... :rolleyes: