Any experience with Milk Paint on Douglas Fir?

schu777

I'm going to be building a bunk bed for my boys and looking for a finish. After doing a search here first, I think I've decided to use Real Milk Paints (color not decided - yet my oldest son wants green). So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice in using Milk Paint with Douglas Fir? Should I put a white coat on first, followed by the actual color? What about a protective finish over the Milk Paint?

Thanks, Michael

Michael:

Take a look at chalk paint produced by Annie Sloan in England to see if it is something that might be of use. It is easier to apply than milk paint and can be watered down to gain translucency. Essentially, you can cover with one coat and no major prep work. It is recommended that you use two coats for heavy use furniture. You can then wax with a clear or dark wax to enhance and protect the surface. You should have a dealer in Omaha, but can also mail order from US vendors.

http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/North_American_Stockists.html

Since your going over pine, If your painting woods with knots or that are sappy and prone to bleeding, a primer is key.

Bunk beds gets a ton of abuse, just climbing the ladder wears the paint off.

If this were me, just a thought, you may want to use a good furniture paint instead of the powdered milk paint. Look for a good furniture paint that is self sealing and has excellent adhesion to your wood. Yes a topcoat is a good idea and offers extra protection. Typically paints can metal mark ( an example is rings/keys/watchbands) and a topcoat helps with that and is an extra layer of protection.