Downloading .mp4 files

Lifesaver2000

I used to download the video files for the various Wood Whisperer videos, but recently whenever I try to download one of the .mp4 files I get a short video with the message that the file is only available for viewing in the Blip player.

I have tried downloading both the HD and SD versions, and also have tried Firefox, Chrome and IE browsers, all with the same result.

So, is it supposed to be possible to download the video files for off-line viewing?

You should be able to just right-click on the HD mp4 or SD mp4 under the Download section and then save the file to your system. I am downloading Part 3 of the Sitting Bench Step Stool as I am writing this post and am not having any issues. I am using Firefox and have attached a screenshot below.

post-553-0-75513600-1342638119_thumb.jpg

Bottom line is some folks can download and some can't, depending on the software and OS you are using. Our video host recently decided to restrict downloads on certain platforms. They claimed to be "just testing" the system, but months later people are still having some issues. This is their way of forcing people to see the ads. There isn't much we can do about it since they are hosting hundreds of our videos for free. But it does suck. So for those who are experiencing this issue, try different browsers, different computers...or if all else fails, use iTunes. They are still allowing iTunes downloads. Well at least for now.

Thanks for the answer Marc. As I said, I have tried three different browsers, and tried both the built-in download (right-click) and also add-on download managers. Based on what you said though, I tried a different computer, and even with the same browser and procedure I used on this computer, on the other computer it worked fine. I came back to this computer, tried again, and the file still would not download.

Both computers are running Windows XP, so it isn't an OS thing, and since both computers are behind the same router it isn't an IP based thing. In fact, I have firefox running copies of the same profile on both computers, but on one it works and one it doesn't. That is very strange.

Now that I think about, I have been having the same problem over at Matt's Basement Workshop, so I guess I will have to use the other computer when I want to download over there too.

Just one more note. When I hit the "Save link as" on this computer, here is the name of the file I get:

Potatono-OOPViews677.mp4

On the other one it shows the appropriate woodwhisperer filename.

So, kind of weird. If I can figure out what the difference is between the computers, I will post it back here so maybe others that are in the "can't download" group and don't have access to a second computer can make some changes and make it work.