shop upgrade...need advice

UglySteve

Also I'm not a fan of riser blocks; to me they seem like an afterthought of the manufacturer to compete against other higher-capacity saws. "Afterthoughts" are rarely well engineered or trouble-free.

I don't disagree, in principle, but I added the riser block to my 14" Steel City about a year ago, and haven't regretted it for a second.. it seems well integrated... I just enjoy the extra capacity without really even being aware of the fact that it's an add-on...

Ok, I've made my purchases. I got the Rikon 10-345 18" bandsaw. I'm in the process of bolting it down to the floor of my shop. I've wired in another 220 outlet for her as well, tossed the stock blade, purchased a timberwolf 1" 3tpi blade and fitted my dust collection. The first blade I put on it from timberwolf was jumping around a bit so I contacted their customer service and they are sending a new blade out no questions asked. I also contacted powermatic and purchased the fence assembly from their 18" bandsaw which is far superior to the Rikon fence(while not too shabby and superior to several others out there, not up to the bar i have set). Now it's time for a major space saving expedition to begin. Thanks for the advice.