Japanese chisels and Planes

Lawrence Brown

I found this guy's store the other day:

Japanese Carpentry Tools

He has a huge number of Japanese chisels, planes, and a few other odds and ends. The thing is, they are pretty much all about $10 a piece.

"Wow! That's so cheap!" you say. Well, yeah, but I'll say right here that you get what you pay for. These are well-used vintage items, and when I say "well-used", it's an understatement. some of these are ground right down to the necks. Most of them are ground down to the bottom of the hollow, but from what I've read there's still a little hard steel left beyond that hollow. Of course I don't know what the exact steel is.

Anyway, if you've ever wanted to play with Japanese chisels or planes, this might be worth checking out. If you look carefully, you can find a few that still do have a bit of a hollow left, which is where the hard steel is.

I got a few just because I've always been curious about them and this way I can play with grinding them and not worry about messing anything up. Besides, grabbing one of these off the shelf to do something like scraping paint, seeing the horrified looks of the people watching me, and being able to say, "What? Oh, these are just my Japanese knockabouts" really amuses me :lol:

I guess I should also state that I can't actually vouch for this guy yet. At 2-6 weeks delivery time, I haven't received anything yet, but I'll post a review as soon as I do. The one thing I can say, though, is that I ordered several things from him, and as soon as the auctions ended he sent me an invoice of everything and had already discounted the shipping by about half, so he does seem to hold up on his promise to combine shipping to reduce the price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47