Barn beams

Thunderrr

Thought i would ask if anyone has experience with antique barn wood.

I have inherited and am taking down a barn that is well over 100 years with the beams intact.

I have read alot about what to do from there.

I am looking for any advice on treatment, and finishing of beams for indoor use.

Thanks in advance

Thunder, I've done a lot of work with reclaimed wood and the first question that comes to my mind is what do you want to make out of them. How you proceed from here will depend on the end use and "style". Most of the stuff I've done was for rich folks who paid premium dollars for the old wood so we could make something new that looked old. Cracks, bent nails, dings, etc. didn't matter, because that "made it look old". So.....What did you plan on making out of them and did you wish to retain their old appearance?

I work with Barn wood on a daily basis. The sky is the limit! depending on your storage situation i'd try to keep & organize as much as possible in a dry covered area. it works great for making faux beams, built in benches and wall coverings. I tend to do the majority of sanding by hand via random orbit starting with 80 grit & a good vacuum the furthest i go is 220 since the surface has so many bumps and contours. I use at least 2 coats of a water based polyurethane to finish the boards. 4" mini rollers with a 3/8" nap work well. i follow with a 3" brush to create a smooth finish. watch out for splinters and embedded nails when cutting with power saws. pulled way to many pieces of rusty nail out of my forehead! old growth beams are amazing and you can always find a stunning grain inside any one of those beams. have fun!

Thunder, how deep is the existing mantle and how big is your mortise? I think I would cut as much as I could with the table saw and finish it up with a chisel, unless of coarse you have a chainsaw mortiser in your shop. If you wish to retain the old barn look then I'd go with a light flat finish. The heat from the fireplace should not be a problem if you are at least 16" above the firebox.