Veritas Jointer Fence - Updated

rodger.

I have been eyeing this fence for a while. Today I finally broke down and bought it. I tried it on some cherry, and I must say it did an excellent job!

The fence is magnetic, and it sticks to whatever plane(s) you have in your shop. I stuck it on my English Stanley #5 Jack. The fence has a stop, and is adjustable if it goes out of square. Mine was perfeclty square straight out of the box.

I paid 44 dollars CDN at Lee Valley. Well worth the money. I will use this fence a lot to remove machine marks left by my power jointer, TS, and planer.

Overall - great addition to my shop!

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

Update - Sept 30th, 2012

I should have bought this product a while ago. I hand jointed all the pieces for my last project (using a #5 and fence), and will continue to do so. I used less wood than I do on the power jointer, and it was far more enjoyable to work the wood. It was much quieter, and the results were far superior to the machine marks.

post-6372-0-60366900-1347757061_thumb.jp

post-6372-0-38502500-1347757149_thumb.jp

I didn't even know this was available! So you didn't experience any movement in the fence while planing?

I've goitta try one of these. Thanks, pug!

The instructions indicate that you should put side pressure on fence as you plane, to ensure that the fence rides along the reference face of your work piece. I just used light pressure, and I had 0 movement with the fence. There is a small stop that prevents the fence from sliding toward the user as the plane rides across the board. This small stop is also adjustable, so it can square up the fence if required.