storing lumber in the basement

duckkisser

Because of some changes in my life I need to set up some lumber storage in the basement. I had thought to store horizontally like most shops do but because of size constraints I decided to go vertical. The space is basically a 5’ space. So it seems like I would have a hard time laying a board horizontal. Some of the problems I face is I wont be able to have individual stacks for different types of wood so I will have to have my wood mixed by species but separated by size. If I had it horizontally I would have to move a entire stack to get to the one board I need. But vertically I can see the type of wood that I need and pull it out much like a book. Horizontally I would not be able to get as many boards into the small space but vertically I can set them side by side saving me much needed room. The beams are 7 feet up but horizontally floor space I only have 5 feet.

I plan on mounting studs to the concrete walls and fitting 1” pipes to the studs that way I can unscrew and move my shelves/braces around so if I have a large number of turning blanks I can make a horizontal wall to set them on. Or If I need to enlarge a vertical brace I can remove a row of pipes so my area is larger.

DSCN0222.jpg

]here is the space im working in

here is my bases but im adding the pipes every 8-12 inches apart.

Will have any problems with weight or damage to the cinderblock walls? if you have any advice or idea or if you have wood stored in you basement tell me how you have stored it.