Sliding Compound Miter Saw Heeling

jgentner

I have a Dewalt sliding compound miter saw and I've found that the blade is not perfectly parallel to the direction that the head slides. This causes the saw blade to bind/burn the wood when making cuts that require the sliding feature of the saw. Does someone have first hand knowledge regarding a fix for this issue? I can't find anything online that solves the problem other than the recommendations to buy a new saw (which is perhaps the correct recommendation). Anyone?

I have mentioned this to a few other posters in the past with mechanical problems.

If you go over to ridgidforum.com, there are quite a few mechanical guys on there that maybe able to help you. This is not to say that WTO will not be able to solve your issue, but it is another source of info. The guys over there really helped me out with a few power tool issues.

Jess, I've found that the best way to use a slider is to make your cuts in two passes. On the first pass, score the top of your board a quarter or half inch while pulling the saw toward you. When you reach the outside of the board, lower the blade all the way through the stock and complete your cut while pushing the saw back into place. Hope that makes sense. I don't know if this will fix your issue but it sure makes nicer cuts with less tear-out. Does your saw have any adjustments for the tracking? I'm assuming that you checked out the troubleshooting section of your owners manual. Another option is to call your closest Dewalt service center and just ask them. Most of the time they are more than willing to help you over the phone.