Festool TS 55 tracksaw

STL Woodguy

I've been noticing that there has been a bit of interest in the Festool TS55 lately (both on WTO and people in person). I had been planning to post this review I originally wrote for Amazon (expanded/revised for WTO) anyway, so figure now is a good time as any.

------------

The day I finally purchased my table saw was the day that many possibilities opened to me in woodworking. But it wasn't a completely open road, either...sometimes it's a question of whether it's better to take the piece to the tool or the tool to the piece.

In the case of oversized sheet goods like plywood and MDF, the latter couldn't be more true. I just don't have a lot of room to spare in my shop to feed very large sheets through my table saw as I either hit one wall ahead or behind me. Even then, handling the sheets requires strongman-like maneuvering. Erring just a tiny amount along the distance sacrifices the accuracy of the cut. And forget about more complicated angle and miter cuts.

Festool's TS55 track saw is a gamechanger for me as it allows precision cuts in larger material that I just couldn't get before using straight edge camping guides. There isn't a lot to say about the saw itself as it's a pretty simple device with the Festool engineering that you'd expect. The track saw plunges about a little bit over two inches, which is going to be PLENTY for any sheet goods you're working with. The saw can also cut bevel edges along the edge up to 45 degrees, not something you'd do very easily with a circular saw without jigs.

By default, the TS55 is undoubtedly a tool for sheet goods as it comes with a 48 tooth carbide blade. While not as fine as - say, an 80T Forrest Duraline tablesaw blade - it's more than sufficient for getting clean cuts on most sheet goods and laminate. Getting a decent blade out of the box on a power tool and not having to replace it with something more expensive is rare, so it's worth keeping that in mind when pondering the price of the TS55.

Hardwoods can be cut with the default TS55 blade, but it will be a harder operation that may start burning the wood depending on the depth. I would recommend getting a combination blade to compliment the finer one as it will make the job much easier. The blades are incredibly easy to change out as there is a locking lever that holds the blade in place while the onboard hex key pops the blade right off.

The included accessories in the systainer is sparse as this is a very simple machine requiring little; the main items of note are the splinterguard attachment, a guide stop for the rail and the 'Plug It' power cord. Also included with the TS55 is a 55" guide rail...it wouldn't be much of a track saw without it, of course.

A plastic strip runs alongside the edge of the rail which requires you to plunge the saw and cut along this strip the first time you use it. Once that's complete, you have a perfect zero-clearance line that will cut precisely to the pencil marks you line it up to. Although Festool sells a grossly overpriced parallel guide for the tracks, I just use a machinist's square to square each side and I have had excellent success in getting four perfectly square corners on large sheets.

One thing that might be a little overrated is the 'gripability' of the strips underneath the track. Festool and fans boasts that the track requires no clamps and stays put on it's own, but in reality I've found you shouldn't put all your faith in that. Plywoods seem to be okay, but more slicker surfaces like MDF will cause the track to move. And it's always fun when your cord accidentally grabs the end of the track and slightly nudges it, requiring readjustment. (There are optional accessories for both the track and the vacuum to prevent this annoyance.) My advice is to always keep the bottom strips clean and definitely use clamps when you can.

The dust collection is amazing when paired with a CT dust collector and the biggest test of this has been cutting MDF. I was flushing the edge of the MDF, and I would not have blamed the Festool TS55 if it couldn't get ALL the dust on this particular cut as MDF is incredibly messy. As I finished and moved the track out of the way to clean up any fall-off mess, I was shocked to see that there was absolutely no dust on the ground. NOTHING. Jokes of "Where does the %$@! go???" from the movie Envy went through my head.

I need to be realistic and note that a little dust is unavoidable: the dust flung from cutting operations is sometimes too fast for the saw to collect and the TS55 can still leave some mess behind. But the dust collection makes all the difference in the world between a few minutes of light sweeping or an hour of vacuuming out the entire room. My experiences also reflect the standard 27mm hose on the Festool CT units and the 36mm hose would certainly improve collection.

So you might be looking at this review and the price and asking yourself "Why would I buy this when I can do the same with a straight edge clamping guide / track and a circular saw? That will certainly do the job and if that combination has been happily working for you, then by all means stick with that and save yourself the cash.

But are you saving yourself the headache? I've found clamping guides can often shift ever so little when engaging the clamp and can be trial and error to get it to stay put in the perfect spot. Unlike a zero-clearance track, the blade is offset from a straight guide and you have to take that distance into account before cutting. Also, clamping guides can sometimes be tricky or useless at clamping at angles. Whereas with the Festool, just lay the track down where you want the cut to be, and go for it.

One word of caution: on a plunging operation, take it slow and USE THE GUIDE STOP ON THE RAIL. The saw can absolutely kick back if you're sloppy about it.

There are a few situations where I wouldn't recommend the TS55. For those who are just wanting to break down sheet goods, the TS55 is overkill for that...stick with a circular saw or a jigsaw to do these things. I also think that if you plan on cutting hardwoods *exclusively,* the TS75 might be a better bet as it has more power, an extra inch of cutting depth and a more appropriate combination blade for that task.

I also discourage anyone hoping that this saw paired with the MFT3 table will replace a table saw. I know a lot of people out there do just this, but I personally feel that a table saw is far more versatile with dealing with most hardwood, not to mention the countless shop jigs to take advantage of. Think not of the TS55 as a table saw replacement, but instead a complement to your table saw (or a substitute out in the field) when working with oversized things it can't handle safely.

Overall, for anyone seeking precision cuts on sheet goods, this is your saw. It feels great in the hand when compared to it's bigger brother the TS75, and it's honestly doesn't cost THAT much more than it's closest competitor, DeWalt's own tracksaw. I would have liked to have seen a longer guide in the 75" range included as the 55" track is mostly good for crosscutting only, but the 55" is a manageable/storable size. You can purchase another track and joiners or purchase a entirely longer track if you need to go longer.

The TS55 has become a big favorite in my shop; give it a try and it may become yours.