Redoing Dust Collection Ducting

Renzo

I have a Jet DC-1100 and removed my 4" splitter (attached with screws) used a 6" main directly to the 6" connection at the collector. Then I split that into two 5" mains.

This way my dust collector was in the middle and each 5" main run was on either side, making each one shorter than a single long run around the shop.

I used 5" mains to reduce the static pressure (resistance to airflow) while keeping the velocity high enough to carry the particles from the machine back to the collector. Be careful of oversizing your ductwork. If you don't have enough CFM the air speed (velocity, measured in feet per minute) will be too slow and heavier particles will settle in your ducts. Also, use wye joints for branches rather than 90 deg. tee joints. For my Jet DC-1100 it works really well at even the last machine on the run. I put most of my heavy dust producers closer to the DC, but didn't compromise my workflow layout just for that.

I used foil tape to seal any leaks and joints I may want to remove later, and brushed on duct sealant on "permanent" joints.

Workshop-Preparing-Ductwork.jpg

I used some 6" flex at my collector so I can move it around a bit; otherwise I'd break the sealant at the joints every time I changed the bags.

Dust-Collector-3.jpg

How did you get images directly into your reply? Anytime that I try it, it says that "you are not allowed to use image extensions on this board"

How did you get images directly into your reply? Anytime that I try it, it says that "you are not allowed to use image extensions on this board"

I believe I used the "Insert Image" button, two buttons to the right of the smiley face. I copied and pasted the URL from my Wordpress blog media library.