Wood racks

TerryMcK

I'm in the middle of having my shop rebuilt (have a look at my WoodtalkOnline Blog or my own external blog) and have decided to buy a Triton Wood Rack based upon Dave in Oz's excellent review and installation video of it on his shop tour page.

The main reason for me buying rather than making is I needed something immediately the shop is completed to get my lumber out of the yard back in the dry. Admittedly it is under cover in a tent in my yard but as the shop machinery is out of commission at the moment this was a great alternative to building. I have read nothing but good praise for this system hence me buying it.

I'm just interested in what everybody else is using and if you would like to share your views on here please do.

My rack is simply 2x4's, lagged to the concrete wall and the overhead joists, with shop made brackets. The 22" long brackets are made of a length of 2x2 sandwiched between two 3/4" plywood sides, which get glued and screwed to the uprights. The screws go through one plywood plate, into the upright, and are installed from both sides. The brackets are simply 2' long x 6" high rectangles, cut diagonally from the 1 1/2" mark at either end.

My current rack is ~ 5 years old and is a duplicate of a rack I previously used for almost 15 years.

I can do pull-ups with my 255 pound self on the end of an empty bracket, with only a slight flex.

The entire thing can by built in less than a day, using only a circular saw and cordless drill.

• Like 1

Alan, I'm an electrician and I would strongly suggest that you switch that emt out for pieces of rigid or imc pipe. Emt is way to easy to bend and could buckle, and I know it hasnt happened yet, but man when it does. I found some shelf brackets at homedepot that are rated for 1000 lbs per pair, and I just lag screwed them into a stud.

randy

• Like 1

Alan, I'm an electrician and I would strongly suggest that you switch that emt out for pieces of rigid or imc pipe. Emt is way to easy to bend and could buckle, and I know it hasnt happened yet, but man when it does. I found some shelf brackets at homedepot that are rated for 1000 lbs per pair, and I just lag screwed them into a stud.

randy

I appreciate your concern but I to have spent a few years doing electrical work bending quite a bit of 3/4" emt on commercial jobs and I have no worries about it bending. As I said earlier I did testing on it with and 80 lb bag of sacrete supported at the end of a 24" piece. Being cheap as I am I went with 20" lengths since I could get 5 pieces from a length. It's also been up for 7 months with constant use getting material off the rack and restocking it.