European Combo Machines

oldgrowth

I have been doing a ton of homework on upgrading my under powered inaccurate machinery and have decided to pool my money and dive into the

European Combo machine world. Any one have advise or experience with these types of machinery? I have settled on one machine in particular,

the Mini Max CU300 SMART. I had the chance to test drive this machine and a similar Felder at the recent IWF in Atlanta. Anyone??

When I read your title European Combination Machines, the first concern I had was that stacked dado blades are not allowed in certain areas of Europe, but the details on the MiniMax USA site (a distributor) said the arbor will allow the mounting of a full 3/4” stacked dado set. I also noticed in the Specs on the MiniMax USA site that the CU300 weighs enough to have its own gravitational field! That should make woodworking interesting.

Here is a forum entry that starts talking about the MiniMax CU300 Classic, but Mark Hubler comments on the CU300 Smart. Fine Woodworking has a review here and there are two user reviews as well. The FW review is dated 2003 and there is a note about the new and improved CU300 which is what I’m guessing you are looking into. Unfortunately the video link at the bottom requires you to have an online membership with FW. Hopefully you’ll get some comments from those who actually own a combo machine. Some good comments here and here on the CU300 Smart. On the second link I found that the following four posters had something to say about their MiniMax combos: Michael Perata, Charlie Plesums, Michael Sloan, Bill Grumbine. Charlie may have the next larger model from the CU300. I saw many other search hits so you may want to Google for something like minimax cu300 smart (maybe add “forums” or “reviews” at the end).

Like Onboard said, dado stacks aren't allowed in Europe, but a long enough arbor will let you use them anyway :) I didn't go look up the technical info on it, but I assume this saw is made for the US market and uses our standard arbor size 5/8". That would suck if you had to buy special blades.

And that gravitational field would be cool; it would keep you in the shop ;)

I have been doing a ton of homework on upgrading my under powered inaccurate machinery and have decided to pool my money and dive into the

European Combo machine world. Any one have advise or experience with these types of machinery? I have settled on one machine in particular,

the Mini Max CU300 SMART. I had the chance to test drive this machine and a similar Felder at the recent IWF in Atlanta. Anyone??

Let me put this thought in your mind. Think about getting just a planer and jointer or one of the combos for those, and invest the remainder of the price of the MiniMax into the Festool system. You'll still get a small foot print for woodworking and extremely good dust collection. If I had to start all over, that's the route I would be taking. Then I'd have much more room in the shop.

Did you check all your options? There is another supplier called Felder. As an ex capital equipment salesperson, check out the service record and not from the supplier, try to get information from customers.

I did meet with Felder/Hammer people at the IWF and to be honest, they are pretty darn close to an apples to apples with with the Mini Max Cu300 SMART, but more expensive and a very basic machine. The Felders are very "a la carte", a basic 4 function machine that you add things to. The Mini Max includes all of the things and an added 5th function for the same price as the Felder. I do have to say that they are both really well made and very accurate.

Let me put this thought in your mind. Think about getting just a planer and jointer or one of the combos for those, and invest the remainder of the price of the MiniMax into the Festool system. You'll still get a small foot print for woodworking and extremely good dust collection. If I had to start all over, that's the route I would be taking. Then I'd have much more room in the shop.

I am interested in your theory, but could you please elaborate? I have a few Festool products, TS55 and some sanders, and I love their system.

Just for the record, the Mini Max machine does take a stacked dado and it has a 5/8" arbor on the machine. Those are the things swaying me away from

the Felder machine, as it has a metric arbor which means a lot of investment in tooling.

All they had at the show were the individual machines so it was hard to get an idea of what a footprint the machine had. When I met with Mini Max it was at there factory si they had everything there for me to see and even the nickle tour of the place. They were also offering a very nice summer sale price as well and even offered to through in some "extras". Can't say that didn't get my pulse racing, LOL!!

Does anyone have experience with a Felder machine?

I am interested in your theory, but could you please elaborate? I have a few Festool products, TS55 and some sanders, and I love their system.

Well, just in regard to space alone, the Festool system excels. I think by the time you had all the Festool equipment, a few MFTs, you can do anything (probably more accurately and safely) that you can do with regular shop equipment. I would probably add in a jointer, planer and nice bandsaw. But, I think that would cover all my woodworking needs with top notch equipment.

Keep in mind, I have zero desire to build boxes (cabinets). I only want to design and build studio pieces. I never want to be an employer or even repeat too many projects. (unless the money is REALLY good ) :D

Well, just in regard to space alone, the Festool system excels. I think by the time you had all the Festool equipment, a few MFTs, you can do anything (probably more accurately and safely) that you can do with regular shop equipment. I would probably add in a jointer, planer and nice bandsaw. But, I think that would cover all my woodworking needs with top notch equipment.

Keep in mind, I have zero desire to build boxes (cabinets). I only want to design and build studio pieces. I never want to be an employer or even repeat too many projects. (unless the money is REALLY good ) :D

That is a good point Vic. I do not really built a lot of "boxes" either and most of my stuff is studio type furniture. The things that sway me to

the combo is 1)A very nice, accurate, and safe sliding table. I can't tell you how many jigs I have to do this very operation. 2)Compact footprint

with a bang. This guy takes up less room than my current TS setup and with 5hp motors to tackle any gnarly wood I throw at it.

I do identify with what you are saying and there is really good dust collection on this thing, not festool good, but not too far off. My only concern would be power and that I would be using a router a lot more, I am not really a router guy. I do have a really nice big band saw, but I think I might be a TS guy, LOL!

Thanks for the inspiration, I will look into it a little more.

P.S. I was thinking out loud through most of this and probably wondering, LOL