sharpening with buffing wheel

jab73180

Since carving chisels are all different shapes and sizes, I could see how something like you've described would work. However flat regular wood chisels require the bottom to be dead flat, and the bevel to be sharpened last. I can't think of a way to freehand this on any grinder and get it right. Not saying it couldn't be done... ;)

BTW, if you use your chisels more than twice a year, buy a worksharp, it works. B)

I, at one time, thought the use of a buffing wheel would help with the honing of my lathe tools. It made them look great, but the cutting action was mediocre. A solid leather wheel will strop the edges much better than a buffing wheel, in my opinion. I use the buffing wheel only to clean up the facets of chisles and the noncutting edges of tools now. I have a worksharp, and would not trade it for anything. It puts a polish on my cutting tools and you could shave with the plane irons.

A buffing wheel is the very last step it takes the the place of stropping the final step in sharpening a razor. After the micro-bevel you just touch the edge lightly to the buffing wheel to sharpen the edge to nothingness. The edge does not last long but it is very sharp.

Dave