Needs something more

Derekkest

Made this for my daughters Daycare teacher who has a niece on the way. It seems plain though and needs something more before I glue it up, any ideas?

You might consider larger letters (Aubrey) or put the existing letters in more of an arc, or both. Also, perhaps a little larger “ABC” blocks and letters. You might consider moving the bear a little more to the left.

I’m guessing, since you said it hasn’t been glued up yet, that it has no finish on it. I think that once you put the finish on it the colors of the wood will look more saturated. You could put some of the finish you plan on using on some left over scraps to see how much it might intensify the color of the wood.

I don’t know how relevant my thoughts are but something to think about.

That'll be nice when it's done. I agree with the others that the background is too blah. The bow idea is nice; piece of curly maple dyed yellow will really grab attention. I was also thinking you could do a small honeypot for the bear's left hand (already room for it) and make 2 bees to put in the middle blah section. Yeah, more work; sorry!

Yea, too much negative space (background). Another option is to make the background smaller rather than trying to fill it up with stuff. Too many objects will compete for interest and it will look cluttered.

You could also dye the background a dark color to make the objects pop.

That's what I was trying to say - either make the background more "negative", or fill it up, or make it more interesting in itself. I think iSawitFirst' has a good idea.

There's an artistic term called "tension" that refers to the distance between objects. If spread apart they have no relationship to each other. Closer together they have tension, or a stronger relationship. This design needs a little stronger tension. Try moving the bear away from the right side. It has more tension with the frame than other objects.

Another thought Derek, is to move the bear to the left, more under the letters (Aubrey), and reduce the size of the background just a little and then reduce the size of the frame to fit (still leaving a little space between the ear and the frame). You might also consider making the tone of the the stomach and chest area of the bear a little darker. Maybe something between it’s current shade and that of the face. You would then have light inner ear areas, and paw pads, medium’ish dark stomach and chest area and dark face, body/arm, paw and ear areas (as they are now). Easy to say isn’t it?

Whatever you decide Derek, I have a feeling your daughters Daycare teacher will be thrilled to receive it.